Incubators Anonymous

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilyD, Sep 10, 2011.

1. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I never have worried about a solid bottom..... I put shelf liner and a paper towel on them so the chicks will not slip. Mine is forced air so I think the sides and tops are going to give PLENTY of air circulation.

2. SewChaos

SewChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Mines forced air too. Guess I won't worry about it then! I did play tetris with the different sizes for a while to figure out the most efficient way to get as many breeds as possible into the baskets before I set the eggs. I've got the shelf line and the basket all ready. Now I have to wait for 2 more weeks to put them in the baskets!

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I think I will try using the needlepoint cloth to make baskets/dividers. Pipe cleaners should help make it sturdier and if the chicks can't see anything on the other side maybe they won't try to jump over. :)

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Remmber there needs to be some air flow though. If you make all the sides solid so they cant see it might not be enough?

5. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

Maybe I will cut some small holes throughout. Or I heard a suggestion from someone else to use screen mesh, like from windows. Hummmmm...

6. TNBEARCHICK

TNBEARCHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    JOHNSON CITY
    we just hatched 2 SFH and 3 Lavender Orps 1 more late bloomer in hatcher thought they were all done.[​IMG]

7. Americangame

Americangame Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2012
    Has anyone bought an automatic egg turner and than installed in a homemade incubator ?

8. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

The needle point canvas is FULL of holes that is why i use it.

9. Haloclimb

Haloclimb Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm worried about my eggs...this is the first time I've used this new incubator I have, and it's been going fine up until the last few days! But the it's hatch day and the air cell is still very small and I can't hear peeping. I candled just to make sure they were still alive (bad idea I know, I just had to check if they were still going!) and they are still kicking but none have broke the air cell. Will they drown? Should I start trying to help them out if they've not pipped by the end of the day? I'm so worried, I'd hate to loose chicks so close to hatching ):

10. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Yes But I thought she said that she wanted to block them to keep the chicks from seeing out ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by