Incubators Anonymous

I asked this question too. I went to the dollar store and found little baskets, but they all had solid bottoms, which I thought would hinder air flow. Also, none were very tall, and I was afraid the chicks would jump out....Then I realized my incubator wasn't very tall, and that the shorter baskets would have to do. I did find some plastic coated wire basket with open wire bottoms at the dollar store, in a couple of sizes.

I never have worried about a solid bottom..... I put shelf liner and a paper towel on them so the chicks will not slip. Mine is forced air so I think the sides and tops are going to give PLENTY of air circulation.

I never have worried about a solid bottom..... I put shelf liner and a paper towel on them so the chicks will not slip. Mine is forced air so I think the sides and tops are going to give PLENTY of air circulation.
Mines forced air too. Guess I won't worry about it then! I did play tetris with the different sizes for a while to figure out the most efficient way to get as many breeds as possible into the baskets before I set the eggs. I've got the shelf line and the basket all ready. Now I have to wait for 2 more weeks to put them in the baskets!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I think I will try using the needlepoint cloth to make baskets/dividers. Pipe cleaners should help make it sturdier and if the chicks can't see anything on the other side maybe they won't try to jump over. :)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I think I will try using the needlepoint cloth to make baskets/dividers. Pipe cleaners should help make it sturdier and if the chicks can't see anything on the other side maybe they won't try to jump over.
smile.png
Remmber there needs to be some air flow though. If you make all the sides solid so they cant see it might not be enough?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I think I will try using the needlepoint cloth to make baskets/dividers. Pipe cleaners should help make it sturdier and if the chicks can't see anything on the other side maybe they won't try to jump over. :)

Remmber there needs to be some air flow though. If you make all the sides solid so they cant see it might not be enough?

The needle point canvas is FULL of holes that is why i use it.

I'm worried about my eggs...this is the first time I've used this new incubator I have, and it's been going fine up until the last few days! But the it's hatch day and the air cell is still very small and I can't hear peeping. I candled just to make sure they were still alive (bad idea I know, I just had to check if they were still going!) and they are still kicking but none have broke the air cell. Will they drown? Should I start trying to help them out if they've not pipped by the end of the day? I'm so worried, I'd hate to loose chicks so close to hatching ):

Back
Top Bottom