Incubators Anonymous

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilyD, Sep 10, 2011.

1. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I don't really have a way to grow out ALL the roos I hatch. Last year I probably hatched about 1500+ chicks so that is about 300 too many roos. Just can't do it. Maybe this year if we get a pen built for them. I don't mind letting DINNER roos free range most of the day but I still need a way to lock them up at night.

I don't typically name my birds. I am not good at naming animal anyway. I had 2 cats... they had REAL name but we just called them Boy Cat and Girl Cat or Kittyboy and Kittygirl.

I think we only have one bird with a name..... Erik..... Erik the RED he is my BCM roo. I can't think of any others. We had another BCM roo and his name was Redneck. He had color all over at about 4 weeks old. Too bad he injured his leg. He became dinner.

2. TNBEARCHICK

TNBEARCHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    JOHNSON CITY
    yep kfc, stewie dumplin, roastie, whatever its good food that I know where it came from

3. TNBEARCHICK

TNBEARCHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    JOHNSON CITY
    yeh I only had to grow out about 100 roos so not that bad and luckily we sold several of those[​IMG]

4. Haloclimb

Haloclimb Chillin' With My Peeps

Whoops, forgot to post pictures!
    [​IMG]
    I can't wait to head to the next poultry auction and buy some more eggs and do this all over again xD Good luck with your hatches everyone!

5. HOMEBODY12

HOMEBODY12 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    I have read some people say they add eggs to incubator. How does that work when it comes time for lock down for the eggs already in incubator?

6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    :love

7. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    I have a couple of incubators I use for just incubating, and one I use just for hatching, so when it's time for lockdown, I just transfer whatever eggs are ready into the hatcher. That way, I can have multiple groups of eggs in the other incubators that are on different hatching schedules.

8. PugBug

PugBug Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I have a different bator just for hatching- just transfer them over

9. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA

10. Flowerbh

Flowerbh Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    OMG! Why did you tell me this (about having different incubators for hatching!) Now, I will want to do that and hatch hatch hatch. As it is now, I have to wait 3 weeks plus some for cleaning, etc in between batches.!!!! hahahhaa! It's probably a good thing I don't have any extra money for another incubator right now!

Oh, BTW, my 12 eggs go into lockdown today! 9 frizzled/non frizzled NNs and 3 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes! Hope all goes well! The Wyandotte eggs were small and porous. 6 didn't make it thru the first 10 days. (mailed eggs - boo!) Hope the last 3 make it. I really want BLRW!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by