Incubators Anonymous

Hatching Grocery Store eggs

I've read through a few threads about this. Has anyone have or know someone who has tried to hatch Wal-Mart eggs? I went earlier today and seen their
Great Value "fresh, cage free, brown eggs" they are very large brown eggs, similar to the ones my Rhode Island reds lay.
Unless they sat "fertile" on the label - faggedabowit

I have hatch 18 day old refrigerated trader joe eggs - 30% hatch rate.

ROFL thought i'd better check my incubation log... turns out the ones I candled a couple days ago are due tomorrow. guess I better get them in the hatcher. k.i.forgot strikes again...

edit: well, they're in the hatcher. LOL just in time. of 22 eggs, looks like all have at least done drawdown, if not internally pipped already. some were talking to me as I moved them.

Did it go ok??

Quote: well so far 5 are out and a bunch more pipped and zipping, so i'd say yeah LOL.

I do have several splashes, which are bantam cochins, some are from my bantam blrw girl but not sure who the father is yet (have to wait and see I guess) since she'd been free ranging before I penned her. and some are from my sfh pullets (again free ranged) so not sure if they're pure or otherwise. some of the other eggs were from other bantam cochin girls, again free ranged, so we'll see.

Last edited:
Does any one know what if a letting my Indian Runner duck hatch eggs fertalized by a rouen drake would be a bad thing. They have very different body styles, and the Rouen drakes are the only males we have and the runner is brooding. We are incubating the rouen hen's eggs, so far we have 4 of those babies and another pipping, 2 more are well on there way along with 15 that are at various stages not in lock down yet. Suffice it to say I have three incubators going. The runner us currently sitting on 12 eggs.

Does any one know what if a letting my Indian Runner duck hatch eggs fertalized by a rouen drake would be a bad thing. They have very different body styles, and the Rouen drakes are the only males we have and the runner is brooding. We are incubating the rouen hen's eggs, so far we have 4 of those babies and another pipping, 2 more are well on there way along with 15 that are at various stages not in lock down yet. Suffice it to say I have three incubators going. The runner us currently sitting on 12 eggs.

You'll have some interesting looking babies for sure.

if you have a big bator but decide to hatch out 6 eggs, I am sure you still could.
lol hatching 3 eggs out of a bator capable of 40+ is a lot easier than hatching 10 out of a bator capable of 7.

at one time I had eggs double stacked on my egg turners in the hovabators... so had 65+ on an auto turner capable of holding 42... all set the same time, as I pulled clears I had room to put some of the developing ones down into the turner rails. ended up hatching about 5 from that one incubator. (the other 2 were full with 'paid' hatches of other peoples' eggs).

finally got a new fan (double ball bearing) for the #2 bator, so once that's swapped out it'll be put back into service. old fan's bearing was going bad and vibrating too much to trust with eggs. this fan also came with a quick disconnect plug too, so we can swap out more easily in the future. all the fans will be swapped out as needed with this new brand, which will hopefully last longer than the old one did (1 year). - 12v fans running on 6 or 9v power supplies, blowing UP... lower voltage power supply means the fan doesn't turn as fast, which helps to keep eggs from drying out too much or shrink wrapping when hatching.

Back
Top Bottom