Incubators Anonymous

I am thinking I am going to use heat emitters in the new brooder boxes. Since there will be 3 sections each with its own emitter how many watts would I need in a room that is insulated and should hold its heat pretty well? I was thinking 75 watts but not sure how much heat they really put off. The room is about 12 x 30 and will have an incubator and hatcher and 3 brooder boxes with chicks. ALL putting of some heat. The 100 watts are cheaper than 75 watts. I can put them on thermostats if that would be better.

it depends how large an area you want each one to heat... in my 2x4 brooders, I have clamp lams hanging from the top. bottom of the deflector is maybe 8" over a new hatched chick. I set it about equal distance from the wall as the front/back and in a room that is generally 65-70, 75 watts does just fine.

I put a 150 watt one outside with a wire (hardware cloth) guard around the bottom to keep them from getting too close. normally I wouldn't use one that hot, but this year's not normal. normally a 90-100 watt does just fine outside in a 2x2x4 house.

are you planning on heating the whole room or just brooders? 1 in each brooder would do just fine. the room around can be cooler.

Last edited:
it depends how large an area you want each one to heat... in my 2x4 brooders, I have clamp lams hanging from the top. bottom of the deflector is maybe 8" over a new hatched chick. I set it about equal distance from the wall as the front/back and in a room that is generally 65-70, 75 watts does just fine.

I put a 150 watt one outside with a wire (hardware cloth) guard around the bottom to keep them from getting too close. normally I wouldn't use one that hot, but this year's not normal. normally a 90-100 watt does just fine outside in a 2x2x4 house.

are you planning on heating the whole room or just brooders? 1 in each brooder would do just fine. the room around can be cooler.
The new brooders will be 25 x 48 x 9 inches tall. I will make a cage around them to keep them from touching it. I think I will use the Thermostat so I can order the 100w emitters.

The room will not really be heated but with an Incubator, Hatcher and 6 emitters going it should be pretty warm in there. I do have an AC/Heatpump I can use to keep the room warm and to help with humidity.

I am going to put a socket for an emitter controlled by the thermostat and then another socket for a light on a timer.

Right now mine are outside under my carport in a 2x 4 brooder this time a year I use a basic red light 250 keeps them cosey as they age I switch to full spectrum. 75 then 65 watt plant lights. The light is 2 ft up. Chicks that just hatch to 1 week are in a fish tank in the house with a 75 watt full spectrum plant light

I usually read this forum at work, and I can't reply there (the reply box is just a grey area, no where to type... could be the browser, but since it's a work computer, I'm SOL there)

Anyhow, thanks to this forum, I bought the Brinsea Mini Advance (decided the money difference for that vs the Hovabator I was going to get is worth it). Love it, BTW. I have my first batch of eggs in there, chickies, 9 days left. I just candled them again and all are growing chickies! My two hens are brahmas (a light and a buff) and my roo (which was supposed to be a hen... LOL) I THINK is an Aloha. I'm excited to see what my chickies will look like!

And BOY, just in my first batch and I can already tell I'm addicted!!! Next up I will incubate eggs from my ducks! I have many different breeds so will have little mutt duckies, ok by me. After that, I want to order some duck eggs from breeds I don't have but want...

ADDICTING!!! :D

I usually read this forum at work, and I can't reply there (the reply box is just a grey area, no where to type... could be the browser, but since it's a work computer, I'm SOL there)

Anyhow, thanks to this forum, I bought the Brinsea Mini Advance (decided the money difference for that vs the Hovabator I was going to get is worth it). Love it, BTW. I have my first batch of eggs in there, chickies, 9 days left. I just candled them again and all are growing chickies! My two hens are brahmas (a light and a buff) and my roo (which was supposed to be a hen... LOL) I THINK is an Aloha. I'm excited to see what my chickies will look like!

And BOY, just in my first batch and I can already tell I'm addicted!!! Next up I will incubate eggs from my ducks! I have many different breeds so will have little mutt duckies, ok by me. After that, I want to order some duck eggs from breeds I don't have but want...

ADDICTING!!! :D

hehe little mutt duckies!! they are gonna be cute!!! yes it is very addicting!

Back
Top Bottom