Incubators Anonymous

I have 7 of the 21 turkey eggs hatched. another 3 that look to have a decent external pipped. I have another 11 eggs I see nothing from. then there are the 9 duck eggs. 4 have pips. Nothing beyond that.

I am literally sitting on my hands. I want to take the empty shells and the ones that have hatched out. i am watching the poults climb all over eggs and trip over them and flock to the ones that seem to be stuck and peck at the shell.

What to do......take them out so the others can hatch out in time or leave them and see?

So I went into lockdown yesterday, so the 2nd guessing is of course, starting to kick in. Throughout this batches incubation, I've kept the humidity between 30-40 % judging on what I saw for the air cells (first time judging by that). When I did my day 18 candling I saw a lot of movment and this morning the eggs (that I had in nice rows) were all over the place, so I think they are having a little egg party in there. But I am a bit worried that some of the air cells are a bit large. What are the effects of having to large of an aircell? I know that to small means a chick that's to big. Thx!

Just brooding over my clutch /sigh

I've never had 'too large' an air cell. they vary but all seem to hatch just fine with anywhere from 5-15% humidity during incubation. and another 2 cochins hatched out at 5% humidity again... (mommas were broody and hoarding eggs an extra day or 2)

What does it mean if my air cells are all of a sudden all wiggly?

Last night they were all (15) fine. And today like 6 of the air cells are nearly liquified?

I cannot hear peeps, nor see any movement other than the air cell.

These are the eggs that were a brooded clutch, then we're abandoned due to a sudden temperature drop in the weather.

Lets see I have eggs at the post office I didn't even know were coming

More eggs at the Post Office in Nashville today and or tomorrow - well 2 sets because I forgot to tell him I moved

Chicks and more chicks and more chicks and a roo coming next week

Chicks coming out of the hatcher more going in and more eggs to set Saturday or Sunday

Did I tell you my incubator holds 540 eggs and I only have room for 2 trays more... well till I take the eggs out for lockdown then I can put in another 6.... hum progress there will still be room in the bator for more eggs YEAH...... I have to stop.... I am running out of brooder room..... the guinea will need their own brooder too along with the little turkeys I just hatchted
barnie.gif

I think we ALL have a PROBLEM that is why we are here RIGHT?????

and more eggs coming from Florida!!! hehe...

I just wish I could afford to buy all of these eggs that everyone has shipped everywhere!!! With eggs, & shipping I cannot justify it to my boyfriend, because I'll be spending more than I can sell them for! :(

Experienced hatchers--
I've always had really good hatch rates in the past and only use mail order eggs as I can't keep roosters. I have also ordered eggs in the dead of summer and the middle of winter and still had good results.

Today is Day 7. I had over 50 eggs from multiple sellers go in the incubator (all arrived on the same day and I let rest for 24 hours). Some were packaged better than others, some of the boxes looked like they were roughed up, out of all the eggs only 4 arrived broken from 2 different sellers.

My incubator has been running great and I use a separate digital thermometer. Of over 50, only 12 look like they should!!! An additional 8 are dark BCM's so I didn't even bother to candle they're all still in there. I have an additional 16 that I marked with X's that I don't think have a chance, but wanted to wait until Day 10 to triple check before pulling.

22 looked completely clear (that's almost half!) so I went through one by one opening each egg and sure enough they all were-- no blood ring, blood spots, any sign of development at all, just clear eggs.

WHY??? I'm thinking lower fertility than sellers thought, too much roughness/shaking in USPS, possible xray? I wouldn't think it would be temperature because 12 are looking perfect and it's not like these started and quit they never started at all.

I've NEVER had this bad of luck with mail order eggs, curious as to your thoughts on this? Thank you!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom