Incubators Anonymous

Below are my 2 worst chicks. I'm very concerned about the 1st one pictured below. It was the only shipped egg that hatched, It hatched OK all by itself but has a nasty navel. (herniated?) I was very surprised that it lived through the night & is walking around OK. I kept these 2 in the incubator last night when I removed the rest.

Last night I swabbed a little iodine. Today I rinsed area with water & applied triple antibiotic ointment.
Will navel eventually go into body on its own? Is there anything I can do or do these chicks always die?

This chick hatched slowly & got dried membrane glued to it. It looked weak, so I rinsed it off & removed the membrane then popped it back into the incubator. Now seems perky, and the navel has a scab. I put some ointment there.

1. Can I put these with the healthy ones?
2. Are the chances for survival OK?
3. Any suggestions for future care?

Below are my 2 worst chicks. I'm very concerned about the 1st one pictured below. It was the only shipped egg that hatched, It hatched OK all by itself but has a nasty navel. (herniated?) I was very surprised that it lived through the night & is walking around OK. I kept these 2 in the incubator last night when I removed the rest.

Last night I swabbed a little iodine. Today I rinsed area with water & applied triple antibiotic ointment.
Will navel eventually go into body on its own? Is there anything I can do or do these chicks always die?

This chick hatched slowly & got dried membrane glued to it. It looked weak, so I rinsed it off & removed the membrane then popped it back into the incubator. Now seems perky, and the navel has a scab. I put some ointment there.

1. Can I put these with the healthy ones?
2. Are the chances for survival OK?
3. Any suggestions for future care?
I would not put them in with the others until it has healed. the others may peck at it and cause your healing chicks harm. Not sure about the other two questions..sorry!

my duck incubator

Faraday..they don't always die it may have hatched a bit early and it it took its time it has unabsorbed yolk sac in there..it has about a 50/50 chance if you can just keep it in the incubator an extra day they tend to be a little weaker you will kind of know which way it is headed as the abdomen kids kind of a greenish hue if they are getting an infection...i have had them hatch early (duck) and still have yolk to absorb and live..
I just had one hatch in the incubator again but it is a FBCM they tend to be a little on the large side it has a bulbous belly ..of course i kind of have a set them and forget them and the Marans do better at my home at least with dry all the way till hatch but my humidity is probably 40 on average in my basement anyway...

Quote:
It helps if you have a swamp cooler and not air-conditioning as air-conditioning makes it too comfortable and the swamp cooler only cools one down 5 to 10 degrees and you are correct it takes a lot of work to keep chickens alive in the summer out in the desert ... I know here it was 110 F degrees by 9 AM so I had to move to get everyone's water containers cleaned and filled ... Oh I also had to get all the napping areas hosed down to keep them cool later in the day ..

It helps if you have a swamp cooler and not air-conditioning as air-conditioning makes it too comfortable and the swamp cooler only cools one down 5 to 10 degrees and you are correct it takes a lot of work to keep chickens alive in the summer out in the desert ... I know here it was 110 F degrees by 9 AM so I had to move to get everyone's water containers cleaned and filled ... Oh I also had to get all the napping areas hosed down to keep them cool later in the day ..

FYI swamp coolers only work in dry climates.

Fortunately they work here.

Back
Top Bottom