Incubators Anonymous

Can I ask what you all use for incubators? I have this cheap one from eBay and apparently it doesn't have enough ventilation and I am hoping to be able to make do with it as I wont get my money back for it for sure.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUTOMATI...749682?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3f1fe08db2

I was hoping to make use with it until I can afford another, which I am looking at http://eshop.bellsouth.com.au/epages/bellsouth.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/bellsouth/Products/B100 and slowly upgrade it to automatic. The lady I called said I only needed to turn a minimum of 2 times but I will go three.

Any advice for a newbie as to how I can make do with the one I have now or should I just list the one I have now. I could list as new as I have not used it at all only turned it on. Haven't even added water as I was planning on the dry hatch method.

Thanks In Advance.

Can I ask what you all use for incubators? I have this cheap one from eBay and apparently it doesn't have enough ventilation and I am hoping to be able to make do with it as I wont get my money back for it for sure.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUTOMATI...749682?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3f1fe08db2

I was hoping to make use with it until I can afford another, which I am looking at http://eshop.bellsouth.com.au/epages/bellsouth.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/bellsouth/Products/B100 and slowly upgrade it to automatic. The lady I called said I only needed to turn a minimum of 2 times but I will go three.

Any advice for a newbie as to how I can make do with the one I have now or should I just list the one I have now. I could list as new as I have not used it at all only turned it on. Haven't even added water as I was planning on the dry hatch method.

Thanks In Advance.

I use brinsea octagon 20

No, I wasn't trying to help it early, I was hatching chicken eggs and this one was four days overdue and I thought it was dead already; that's the only circumstances under which I would open up an egg.
Awww...so sorry
hugs.gif
With eggs in your situation, I give it a safe hole by the beak so it can breath and then I will let it rest and try to hatch on its on. If no progress after 12 hrs I will start to chip away some of the shell ....back in the bator to warm up and keep going I if needed, watching that veins are not present, but with yours being upside down and the shell being gone on the bottom, you may have had to assist all they way out..YIKES!!! Unfortunately many times assisted chicks are not the healthiest and it is difficult to watch them struggle
sad.png
which is why I rarely do it
hmm.png

Awww...so sorry
hugs.gif
With eggs in your situation, I give it a safe hole by the beak so it can breath and then I will let it rest and try to hatch on its on. If no progress after 12 hrs I will start to chip away some of the shell ....back in the bator to warm up and keep going I if needed, watching that veins are not present, but with yours being upside down and the shell being gone on the bottom, you may have had to assist all they way out..YIKES!!! Unfortunately many times assisted chicks are not the healthiest and it is difficult to watch them struggle
sad.png
which is why I rarely do it
hmm.png

Thank you.
hugs.gif

Yeah, I won't be doing it anymore either.
hmm.png

I need incubator advice.
I've found Hova-Bator has good prices, even with an automatic turner added.
So, I'm wondering:
~ Have any of you had any experience with the brand?
and
~ Have any of you had experience with the automatic turner?

I have a Hova-Bator with a fan and automatic turner. It does fairly well. Not near as well as my Brinsea, but it's ok. It's a bit of a pain to keep the temp stable.

I can set the Brinsea on 99.5 and it will stay there.

The Hova-Bator will swing between 98 and 101.

Okay. Thank you.
The temp in my house isn't very steady in the summer, so I'll have to take the temperature control into account.
What about installing a thermostat?

I incubate in my basement for that reason it stays a fairly steady temp year round, and the humidity is right about 35 % year round I have a dehumidifier that keeps it there so a lot easier for me as i know there will be no temp spikes or drops..and it is is heated by my boiler pipes running all over so it stays about 65-7- year round. and it is also unfinsished so I brood there also as chick dust is no problem..I Have 2, 48 egg chinese incubator that costs between 119-179 on ebay one has been running for 7 months straight
hide.gif
..I need to either give my neighbors a bunch of eggs or pack the other one full I have about 4 dozen eggs in my basement on a shelf (great egg storage option also if you sell hatching eggs)..I get about 8- 10 eggs a day and have about 10 pullets ready to lay..anyone need some eggs to practice on?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom