Incubators Anonymous

I run dry incubations on my quail. I don't add water I just let them hatch on the humidity in the air. If they're struggling to hatch I add a shot glass of water to finish out but otherwise nothing.

Thank god I just lost a D'anver auction on Ebay - I don't need any more chickens! But I want some D'anvers!

Maybe next week????
wink.png

If the others are ready to hatch as well, I would not wash them at this point. Not really good to wash eggs at all because it washes off the protective coating of the egg and can allow infection. Glad to hear your chick is doing great!!!
big_smile.png
Glad I didn't wipe them off, I had a 77% hatch rate, best rate since last spring!

Thank you!

I have never tried or even know how to incubate eggs, do you take them from hen immediately after she lays them? How do you do it , id love to learn

Hi Scottpat2,

While you wait for others to chime in... the learning center has excellent information for beginners to have successful hatchings.
Best wishes.

Ok...my friend lent me her Home Made Incubator and the temperature is set to turn the light on and off automatically but it only goes up to JUST 99 degrees then the light goes off and it drops down below 98 before the light goes back on...how low is low enough to hurt the developing chicks?

I have never tried or even know how to incubate eggs, do you take them from hen immediately after she lays them? How do you do it , id love to learn
Your best bet is to read Hatching 101 in the learning center. Read it all, then... read it again!

Ok...my friend lent me her Home Made Incubator and the temperature is set to turn the light on and off automatically but it only goes up to JUST 99 degrees then the light goes off and it drops down below 98 before the light goes back on...how low is low enough to hurt the developing chicks?
What kind of hatching success has she had with it? Did she give you the same thermometer(s) that she used with it? Is it a forced air, or still air? Did she use a turner in it? Is your house a bit colder than hers? How long have you been running it? Is it empty right now? My recommendation: Be absolutely sure that you have an accurate thermometer. If you're using the same thermometer that she was using, it's possible that the thermometer is off just a bit, or perhaps the thermostat control has been bumped a bit. Ask her about it. If she's familiar with it, she should be able to tell you if the thermometer is reading a bit low. Or, maybe, it is what it is, and her hatches have been a bit on the slow side, in which case you could bump it up just a bit. Either way, you should put a couple of water bottles in it and run it for a couple of days to get the temp where it needs to be, before putting eggs in it. goal is 99.5 for forced air, 101 - 102 for still air. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the still air. Read Hatching 101. Enjoy!

You will need to adjust the thermostat. If it has a fan, the temp range should be 99-100'F. goal = consistent 99.5'F. Make sure to take the temp at the level of your eggs (May be warmer if closer to the heat source. Check areas throughout the incubator) If it's a still air model (no fan) the avg temp is higher. (102'F I think, but you should double check.)

Your best bet is to read Hatching 101 in the learning center. Read it all, then... read it again!

What kind of hatching success has she had with it? Did she give you the same thermometer(s) that she used with it? Is it a forced air, or still air? Did she use a turner in it? Is your house a bit colder than hers? How long have you been running it? Is it empty right now? My recommendation: Be absolutely sure that you have an accurate thermometer. If you're using the same thermometer that she was using, it's possible that the thermometer is off just a bit, or perhaps the thermostat control has been bumped a bit. Ask her about it. If she's familiar with it, she should be able to tell you if the thermometer is reading a bit low. Or, maybe, it is what it is, and her hatches have been a bit on the slow side, in which case you could bump it up just a bit. Either way, you should put a couple of water bottles in it and run it for a couple of days to get the temp where it needs to be, before putting eggs in it. goal is 99.5 for forced air, 101 - 102 for still air. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the still air. Read Hatching 101. Enjoy!
You beat me to it!
x2 Good advice.
The water bottles help maintain consistent temp. (Warm them slightly to avoid a lengthy reheat time.)

Back
Top Bottom