Incubators Anonymous

Ok so I may have went a little overboard, but I couldn't help it. There were simply to many eggs sitting about begging to be hatched! I now have 88 eggs in a homemade cooler incubator. It is so full I have to tilt the actually cooler to "turn" the eggs. Now I just have to figure out how to actually hatch all of them...

In this thread, I usually share my joy & success, but today I share my sadness.

Out of 12 fertile eggs, 10 looked great on day 14. In fact 8 of those 10 were dancing about! (Two bad eggs on day 14 = One quitter & 1 blood ring) I also had a few clears that were never fertile. I put them to the side to help maintain the steady temp. since there was no odor or weeping.

This morning (day 18), I did a quick candle & noticed 2 of those 10 were smaller than the rest & not moving. I put them near the likely bad & infertile eggs. I wanted to keep them away from the 8 really good eggs - but still inside the incubator. As I was putting them to the side, one slipped through my fingers & cracked vertically. I thought it was probably already dead & decided it should be removed. With the crack I had so clumsily made, I figured I didn't want to risk a rotten egg oozing out into the incubator. I went to do an egg-topsy.

I think you know where this is going. I practiced an assisted hatch & cracked the air cell, gently peeled, then all of a sudden I saw & felt it move, then tear, then the embryo slid into my hand - wiggling & kicking. I thought it was dead! I never had anything like this happen before. The large yolk was still attached. Although it was not bleeding, I knew I had killed this poor creature. I could not undo it & put it back into the egg!

I have had chicks pip & die because I did not assist, but that was simply nature's harsh reality. Being the direct cause has made me feel terrible all day. I hope I can move past this & enjoy the successful hatches of the strong healthy chicks remaining.

No matter how hard one tries, the reality is that no one is perfect, even the people who seem so very close to perfection make mistakes sometimes. I am very sorry for your lost chick, but I hope that the rest of your good eggs all churn out to be healthy, adorable, little fluff balls, and eventually end up becoming beautiful, strong, producing chickens.
hugs.gif

Being the direct cause has made me feel terrible all day. I hope I can move past this & enjoy the successful hatches of the strong healthy chicks remaining.
I have had this to happen and even though I hatch 1000's and 1000's It bothers me but I do let it go because it was a ACCIDENT----Nothing I meant to Do-----Accidents happen to all of us. One time I had a tray with 18 eggs in it---dump---hit the floor---18 day old eggs that I was fixing to put in the hatcher-----yes It bothered me, but again it was a Accident. Don't beat yourself up, clean up the mess and Move on is What I suggest----It Happen's!!!

As a Side Note, "I" do not feel leaving a bad egg in the incubator is a good thing and "I" do not feel it is needed to hold the heat. I have put 1 egg in and hatched 1 egg in the styrofoam incubators(special egg from a staggered set). Leaving a "bad" egg in can do 2 bad things. 1, it could "blow' and make a Bad Mess. 2, it can give off bacteria that could affect the other eggs. Good Luck in your hatches!!

are we actually chosing to hatch the eggs, or are the eggs making us? look at a momma hen, she goes into some weird egg hatching trance, like she is possessed.

and when I am in the mood to hatch, don't get in my way...

yes be afraid, be very afraid...

Back
Top Bottom