Incubators Anonymous

There is not enough oxygen in any sealed box to hatch chicks in-----you have to vent the box/incubators and you would have to properly vent this too!!

O.k Thank you! I thought that might be a problem.I don't know if That is a good deal or not.She is asking 150.00 and if I couldn't make it work. I just don't know It could be a good bator or more trouble then it's worth.

Last edited:
O.k Thank you! I thought that might be a problem.I don't know if That is a good deal or not.She is asking 150.00 and if I couldn't make it work. I just don't know It could be a good bator or more trouble then it's worth.
Its according to how its built, but venting can be as simple as drilling some holes in few locations. I like to "Play" but for $150 I would have to really know I could make it work without having to spend much more. I bought a used Dickeys cabinet incubator for $50----had to spend less than $100 to get the turner working----Now I got a good working Cabinet-----digital Control for under $150. I also bought a GQF cabinet for $250---turner did not work but I had it working in a few minutes after I got home without having to buy anything-----bought another home-made cabinet with turners(4 of the styrofoam incubator type turners) working for $40-----SO what I am saying is----LOOK around before you buy----you Might get Lucky!!

Its according to how its built, but venting can be as simple as drilling some holes in few locations. I like to "Play" but for $150 I would have to really know I could make it work without having to spend much more. I bought a used Dickeys cabinet incubator for $50----had to spend less than $100 to get the turner working----Now I got a good working Cabinet-----digital Control for under $150. I also bought a GQF cabinet for $250---turner did not work but I had it working in a few minutes after I got home without having to buy anything-----bought another home-made cabinet with turners(4 of the styrofoam incubator type turners) working for $40-----SO what I am saying is----LOOK around before you buy----you Might get Lucky!!

O.k Thank you! I hope I can find one that holds temp. That is what I am most worried about.I don't want to cook eggs! I can do that on my stove for free! Plus I don't know anything about incubators.

I was planning on getting 12 silkie eggs, but after looking at the birds from a seller of the eggs online, now the 12 egg, have turned into 24 lol
1f602.png
5 white, 5 black, 5 gold, 5 splash and 4 cuckoo!! And i am going to be fixing up my pen soon, making it more secure etc, its all money at the minute
1f602.png
im going to be broke soon!! Plus my 11 chicken eggs and one duck egg are going into lockdown tomorrow, and my geese are going into lock down next thursday
1f600.png
im really hoping for a good hatch rate :) , for the silkie eggs, i am going to be using an octagon 20, advance, with the automatic turning cradle, im hoping with such a good incubator, it will help hith the hatch rate!!
1f601.png
i hear that a dry hatchs are good, at the minute i am hatching my geese in 30 % humidity, and its staying around that, with no water in the incubtor, would a dry hatch work better with silkie eggs, or should i keep it to about 40-45% and then put it up to about 60-65% ? Never hatcd silkie before, not sure if they need special care or anything lol
1f602.png
! Any advice would be grately appriciated

I was planning on getting 12 silkie eggs, but after looking at the birds from a seller of the eggs online, now the 12 egg, have turned into 24 lol
1f602.png
5 white, 5 black, 5 gold, 5 splash and 4 cuckoo!! And i am going to be fixing up my pen soon, making it more secure etc, its all money at the minute
1f602.png
im going to be broke soon!! Plus my 11 chicken eggs and one duck egg are going into lockdown tomorrow, and my geese are going into lock down next thursday
1f600.png
im really hoping for a good hatch rate
smile.png
, for the silkie eggs, i am going to be using an octagon 20, advance, with the automatic turning cradle, im hoping with such a good incubator, it will help hith the hatch rate!!
1f601.png
i hear that a dry hatchs are good, at the minute i am hatching my geese in 30 % humidity, and its staying around that, with no water in the incubtor, would a dry hatch work better with silkie eggs, or should i keep it to about 40-45% and then put it up to about 60-65% ? Never hatcd silkie before, not sure if they need special care or anything lol
1f602.png
! Any advice would be grately appriciated

What are gold silkies?

I wouldn't want to try to dry hatch waterfowl eggs, they need LOTS of humidity.

I read lots of forums on hatching geese, including the hatching geese 101, and they all suggested, having it at 30% until lockdown, and then to bring it up to 70%, but i have been spraying them and cooloing them everyday, as recommended in the hatching geese 101 thread, and gold silkies look like this :)

I am in need of advice hatching goose eggs. I have 4 african/toulouse eggs in an LG 4200 still air incubator. The LG has crazy hot flashes. And my eggs have been in lockdown since Wednesday. Today is day 28 the temp was doing great until sometime this afternoon. I came in from outside and the temp was 106 ugh. I wasn't out that long so I took the top off lowered the temp on the base and watched. I am worried because when I set the lockdown I water candled all 4 eggs with good movement I set them. But, I have only witnessed movement of two eggs today. I hope that temp swing didn't damage them. :( There is no external pips that I can see as of yet but hoping something will happen soon. With all the temp fluxes I assume it may take longer for them to pip and hatch. But, does anyone have any advice on incubating goose eggs? I read petes diary and a few other posts but, there is really no commentary on the kind of issues I am dealing with or at least I am not finding it.
Good luck to everyone else in lockdown may we all hatch 100%.

Back
Top Bottom