incubators.. which one?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by danniboi1990, Jul 22, 2011.

1. danniboi1990

danniboi1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Coventry
    hi guys.. has anybody got any experience with incubators. ive been doing some research online and already own an RCOM incubator. it holds 3 hens eggs but it only ever hatches out roos. im thinking maybe i should get a new bator as the one i already have is all automatic. if i got a new one.. does anyone recommend a certain type.. im not looking for a massive one. thats why i originally went for my mini rcom bator. im desperate to hatch out some pullets! HELP!

THANKS GUYS [​IMG]

2. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well unfortunately it's a gamble when your hatching. So even if you get a bigger incubator your possibility of hatch all roos is still there. With more eggs you stand a better chance of course hatching more pullets. Get whats in your budget and one that has the features you like.

3. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    I clicked on this thread because I am thinking about getting a small incubator. Any brand or model recommendations?

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Brinsea, they have incubators ranging from 7 eggs to a few hundred.

5. IowaHeritage

IowaHeritage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Western Iowa
    I have 2 little giant incubators, with egg turners.

Have had 100 % hatches and 0 %. Although this year its usually 15 to 30 percent max.

Thinking about atleast getting computer fans before I upgrade...........

Greg

6. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    I have a Red Wood holds 400 chicken eggs. I've heard good reviews about the Sportsmen.

7. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
  8. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I have a R-Com Suro and a Brinsea Octagon... but with humidifiers... they both work great.

9. meepitqueenie

meepitqueenie Gallo's Poultry Haven

May 26, 2010
    in the adirondacks
    I started out in a little giant but i now have 2 brinsea eco 20s and love it. doesn't have the humidy pump but i have the auto turners for them. but you dont have to get the turners.
    there are flat sides and you just rotate to the right or the middle or the left yourself if you dont want to have the auto turner.

I love them. I think its a good place to start. if you like them on facebook i think they have a discount code to use when you order.
    and easy to clean.

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    WHen you say you only hatch roosters, I take it that you mean that all eggs that hatch are roosters and their are some eggs that don't hatch. I recently read an interesting idea, that I have not been able to confirm by a university or equivalent, higher incubation temps favor the rooster, if I remember correctly. Only one IMO reference. Can you check the temperature of you machine? Can you alter it , very slightly? Like a degree, or a half degree? Maybe open a plug or whatever will let out some heat. Just a thought--can't prove it but maybe it's worth a try. GL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by