India offers cash incentives for girls

Status
Not open for further replies.
One reason Hindus do not eat meat is reincarnation, you never know who you would be eating. 1/3 third of the grain produced in India is consumed by rats, they will not kill them. Mother Theresa of Calcutta rescued young girls (12 years old and younger) from male Hindu priests. I am not surprised at the worth of a girl in that country.

I hope to have a son and a daughter. Son to carry the name, baseball, foot ball etc. And a daughter. Daughter because I want to know what it is like to hear about their first boyfriend, the gossip, etc. But I would be find with having on or the other or 2 of one or the other. I personally would not get upset if I had all girls or vice versa. Probably off topic though.

Post harvest grain loss in India is about 10%, mostly caused by insect pests. It is high, but it is not 30% of the crop. Picking wheat, because the numbers are easy to find....even with a 10% post harvest loss, India's wheat production is higher than the US. US grain loss numbers are harder to find.

As for Mother Teresa, I believe most of her work was with the dying. Please give some real data for her saving "young girls from male Hindu priests".

India has many problems, especially those related to gender inequalities. Making those seem worse without knowing the facts seems biased.

India has problems with selective female abortion, neglect of female children (often leading to death), child marriages, dowry murders, and the treatment of widows. In some areas, the gender ratio is off by as much as 20%. This is also true of areas of Korea and China. The problem in China is so bad, with a huge number of unmarriagible males (no girls to marry), that political instability is feared. Lots of young men, with no social attachments, and no hope of any are a destabilizing factor anywhere.

mom'sfolly :

Post harvest grain loss in India is about 10%, mostly caused by insect pests. It is high, but it is not 30% of the crop. Picking wheat, because the numbers are easy to find....even with a 10% post harvest loss, India's wheat production is higher than the US. US grain loss numbers are harder to find.

As for Mother Teresa, I believe most of her work was with the dying. Please give some real data for her saving "young girls from male Hindu priests".

India has many problems, especially those related to gender inequalities. Making those seem worse without knowing the facts seems biased.

India has problems with selective female abortion, neglect of female children (often leading to death), child marriages, dowry murders, and the treatment of widows. In some areas, the gender ratio is off by as much as 20%. This is also true of areas of Korea and China. The problem in China is so bad, with a huge number of unmarriagible males (no girls to marry), that political instability is feared. Lots of young men, with no social attachments, and no hope of any are a destabilizing factor anywhere.

Yes, unless someone else has some other reports the only things I know that Mother Teresa had to do with young girls was to feed those that were left to die and to teach them not to use birth control.​

Don't people just love to go on and on about a country they've never visited and a religion they know nothing about?

All the male Hindu priests I met were married.

Very, very happily married, with lots of children. Of their own. From their wife.

To suggest that they are all, or even many, are running around trying to have se* with little girls is disgusting and reveals nothing other than a prejudice against Hinduism and a blind hatred of other people and other countries.

But it's also ridiculous. The Hindu priests I've met for decades, are happy family men and very much enjoy their jobs, which most of them had chosen to do rather than be told what to do. Most families these days are very happy to see someone ELSE's son become a priest, and would prefer their sons get a higher paying job. And it is a job - and a time consuming and difficult one. It's not always easy to find priest jobs and the hours are long.

I also think it might be good to consider that not EVERY ONE in India is running around getting their girls married off at 8. It is indeed a problem in some areas, in some groups.

But most of the young Indian women I know, are busy getting MBA's and Computer Science degrees, speak English better than I do, don't believe in child marriage, or even arranged marriage, or sati, reincarnation, not eating beef, or any of the other old beliefs, and neither do their parents. A good many Indian girls and young women, live very much like many Western girls of their same age - and they choose their own husband and they get married after they finish college.

One thing I will say I've found to be different, aside from the importance of attending church (and in fact, there is a sizeable Christian group in India as well as Hindus) - is the very, very strong family values. Family is very, very important. One of my friends told an Indian friend she hadn't spoken to her brother in 20 years - the Indian woman was so shocked she couldn't even say anything. She actually talked to me about it later and said, 'We have to try and help her make amends with her brother!' She was practically crying. She thought it was horrible, even more so when told what had gone wrong between them. A brother should NEVER mistreat a sister, the idea shocked her. While I'm sure it happens from time to time, it is a very strong belief that it is very much not right.

While no one in the West was looking, Hinduism in the last 150 years has been becoming a very different religion than most Westerners think. In general, Christians tend to denigrate Hinduism through various unpleasant tactics such as pretending every Hindu does insane, cruel things that are more typical of small groups of people, hundreds of years ago than of now.

There's room for being a Hindu and living a very modern lifestyle. Unlike other world religions it is a very, very flexible religion and has adapted over time to become what it is today. Study the Bramho Samaj and other movements - they do not date to the last 5 years. Or even the last 50.

There are a lot of different Indias. India has the largest middle class of any country in the world. There are very wealthy, middle class, and poor people in India. And each group and region has somewhat different traditions. There are pockets of old fashioned ideas and areas of very modern culture as well.

Just like in America. There are people in AMerican who are marrying off their daughters at 8 and 9 and 14, too. There are people from the Westboro baptist church who are picketing funerals saying people's children died because AMericans haven't killed off all their gays. Is every Christian in the US doing that? No, there are seven of them. Out of over 250 million people.

Should we suggest that it is EVERYONE in America, or even many?

Last edited:
India does not report losses by rats. Those figures are estimates for the amount of rats and the practice of not preventing rats from consuming it.

Read any of Mother Teresas' books "No Greater Love" or "In my own words" I cannot remember which of her books talked about it but I assure you it is in there.

Footnote: By all accounts, the devadasi tradition in Hindusim, which began as a system of devotional singing and dancing in temples, eventually degenerated into a system of exploitation of young girls and women with tangents that spread into prostitution and sex slavery. Despite legislation banning it, variants that include the "donation" of young girls to temples in hopes of spiritual blessings, are still prevalent in many regions of India, particularly in the southern states of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.

I cannot post some of this stuff but you get the idea. I suppose these would be considered acceptable losses since it only occurs in some areas. When the religious leaders set a bad example the effect is long reaching. I have a good friend from India well educated and he has some very interesting stories about what happens there... I do believe him.

Wellsummer, have you been to India? do you really think a Hindu priest would come here and practice rape? of course you have not met any give me a break. What I said is well documented all you have to do is research it a little I really don't think it is made up. Yes modern americanized hindus do not practice all the aspects of hinduism just like any other americamn adopted religion. The practice in India occurs because it is a mojor religion there and the laws are different and not always enforced or they just don't talk about it as my Indian friend would say.

Look at the bright side if you are a Hindu and don't get it right in the first life you always get another chance in the second, third etc. etc.

You are right Hinduism is a dying religion. it is not on the increase.

mom'sfolly :

India has problems with selective female abortion, neglect of female children (often leading to death), child marriages, dowry murders, and the treatment of widows. In some areas, the gender ratio is off by as much as 20%. This is also true of areas of Korea and China. The problem in China is so bad, with a huge number of unmarriagible males (no girls to marry), that political instability is feared. Lots of young men, with no social attachments, and no hope of any are a destabilizing factor anywhere.​

Last edited:
no hope of any are a destabilizing factor anywhere.

I think you mean STABILIZING FACTOR. Otherwise your statement would be saying something POSITIVE about India or Hinduism, which I'm very, very sure you'd hate.

You're coming on here insulting the religion of people who are members here, for your information.

If you weren't backed up by moderators who have the same bias as you, you'd be censored and told that running down someone's religion is not allowed here. If I were running down Christianity here I'm VERY sure I would be scolded and censored or kicked off. That's how entrenched it is here - as long as you are cutting down some non Christian religion it's allowed. No matter WHO you are personally insulting and saying their religion condones rape, and that they by association, are prancing around all day allowing and encouraging rape of young girls.

For your information, child marriage, seleective abortion and all the rest of your list, is a 'problem' among Christians and in the USA, too.

Also for your information, in most of the 'backward' largely Hindu villages in the poorest sections of India, a person who so much as TOUCHES or LOOKS at a child of either gender inappropriately would be afraid for his life. Literally and with good reason. People take an extremely dim view of that - and no one cares if it is a priest or not. Most of the priests are just as poor as the people they serve and they have no special privileges in general.

What you are saying is 'well documented'? Come on. I call baloney. Well documented by what YOU consider to be a good source, because it says what YOU Want to hear! That all, most, many or whatever the fallback position is, Hindu priests are out there raping little girls! Oh, except for the ones that are allowed to come here! What a bunch of lies. It's stunning, to be honest, it's horrific that anyone would even suggest such a thing. How would you like it if someont suggested that about YOU, or YOUR religion, or YOUR country?

AMericans and especially CHristians have spent a very, very long time spreading untruths about Hinduism and India, pretending that these problems apply to every single person in the country - or most, or many, or whatever the fallback position will be - WHY? BEcause they WANT TO! Because it makes them feel superior.

I wasn't even allowed to show pictures of one of my trips at a church unless I agreed to denigrate Hinduism, and in fact, to say absolutely NOTHING positive of any kind, about the country, culture OR religion!!!!!!!!

And that was not some extreme, fanatical, off the line Christian church.

the Hindu religion is a very strong supporter of the very same values most Christian Americans espouse.

I've been to Indian MANY times, thank you very much. And I know Indian people from all different walks of life - rich poor and everything in between, for many, many years. I've lived with the poor in huts, I've met people from diplomatic attache to tenant farmer to unemployed laborer to holy man to college students to highly trained computer people to doctors, lawyers and a whole lot more.

The Catholic priests problem is also rather well documented, but it does not mean every Christian minister, priest and deacon is out there abusing young boys!!!! It doesn't even mean 'many' are doing it. It doesn't mean your minister is doing that!! It doesn't mean YOU condone it! It doesn't mean YOU practice it! It doesn't mean your whole town, or state, or country, condones it or does it!!!!!!! And contrary to fundamentalist opinion it does not mean all CATHOLICS are doing that or condone it!!!!

And it does NOT mean Chrisitanity is dying, either.

Hinduism is a dying religion, it degenerated into nothing but abusing young girls....'by all accounts'....what a bunch of baloney, what a bunch of nasty self serving lies.

You can find bad in ANY group, that does not mean the whole group is bad. There are problems, there are good and bad people in every group, every religion, every organization. That does not mean the problem applies to ALL, or even to MANY.

Sorry, but Hinduism is alive and kickin', by the attendance surveys I've seen it's doing an awful lot better than Christianity as far as 'growing', and it did NOT degenerate into nothing but abusing young girls. What a load of lies. And you and others believe them because yoU WANT to believe them. Not only believe them, but believe it applies to the whole dang religion, or 'most' or whatever backtracking you're going to do next.

Why are people so blind and so determined to be that blind, why are people SO determined to point fingers at everyone else not in their little clique? Fanaticism about one's own religion, hatred of other countries and other cultures and religions, love of sensationalism, what?

Last edited:
I think I must not have been clear...the lack of brides in China is a destabilizing influence.

I also said that there are very real problems in India. There are very real problems in every culture. Focusing on "religious" prostitution in India because of a bias is as silly as focusing on the Catholic Church or the FLDS as behaviour indicators for all of American culture.

No culture has a monopoly on the vile, evil and abhorrent. We live in a country that won't sign treaties against child soldiers because it would limit our recruiting of 17-year-olds. We have a huge problem with human trafficking, drugs and murder. Societies change, attitudes change, and people change. Focusing on the vile limits all of us to the worst that people and cultures have to offer.

We're done here.
hmm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom