Indian Fantail Interest

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
Hello, I'm debating on getting some Indian Fantails. I'd like a pair, but honestly am unsure as to what I am looking for? I don't know of the colors, markings or really even the angles that they should have on them. I love the feathered feet and the fact they look like small turkeys.

Also, I look around online and find that some sites call them doves and some sites call them pigeons. What's the difference? Is there one?

What type of feed do they need? Gamebird feed or specific pigeon feed? Do these birds need to be "let out" for flight or can they remain caged?

We have Indian Fantails, and they are great birds. We feed the pigeon developer, and have an enclosure for them to get exercize. We have attempted to let them out in the past but the seems happy to stay inside the cage.

Quote:
We have 4 and love them! very laid back and the one female is very tame (she isn't even handled much)

An you describe your setup? I was thinking a small cage such as a double cage for largefowl chickens. Is that enough space? Is it true that you have to "train" their tails to spread by weaving them? I would like to show them but chickens are my love. I've liked pigeons and have admired these for quite some time. Do you have any photos of your birds?

Indian Fans are my favorite. I have kept many different varieties of pigeons and always return to the Indian Fans. The fans are a lot more tame and friendly than the other types I have had. I feed mine scratch grains with peas mixed in. I can't get pigeon feed where I am but have never had problems with feeding them the scratch grains. You do not have to train their tails, they should stand naturally (they can lower and raise them just like a turkey.) Your large cage should be fine. They don't have a need to fly like the performance birds and are at great risk from hawks and other prey birds because of their slow flight. Mine do enjoy going outside in the outside run. I am just getting ready to list my for sale birds for this fall. Its getting cool enough to ship. I like the bigger show birds and large muffs(the feathers on their feet) so that is what I breed for. You can visit my website, http://elfenhundpigeons.webs.com/, for pics of my breeding birds. My sale birds will not be up until later this evening. Also Slobberknocker lofts has a pigeon auction that you can sometimes find some nice birds on. Oh and they come in many many colors and patterns.

Yes the mottle is our favorite color. Thats Mufasa my therapy pigeon. Its a long story but I'm pretty sure he may be one of a very few group of therapy pigeons. My 2 yr old nephew had childhood cancer and he loved the pigeons. As soon as he was diagnosed the doctors said no more poultry. (poultry have dander and can carry diseases that threaten the lives of cancer patients.) He was also not allowed to go outside without a mask and only then to get from the house to the car. It was heartbreaking for a country boy that bleeds green. So Mufasa started making trips to claytons house and would stand outside the window and visit with clayton. He also Skyped (online webcam) to clayton while he was in the hospital. It made Clayton SO happy to see that little pigeon. Clayton has since passed and the pigeons are a comfort and a well of memories.
Well sorry that got so long. He is a mottle (would be saddle if he didn't have the mottle gene). "Self" is the same as spread, its a solid colored bird without the bars that are typical of the original rock pigeon. Pigeon colors and patterns can get very tricky and I have only learned the "tip of the iceberg" so to speak. I'm located in Berne, In (its on the ohio/indiana line). I do ship when weather permits and will be doing a speacial, buy three birds get the shipping box free. I'm sorry my computer is being super slow so I can't update the website tonight. I was going to post the rest of the sale birds on this post but I don't seem to have an icon for adding pics. I imagine I have not been a member long enough. I would be happy to e-mail (mine is [email protected]) you pics if you like or I will have the website updated by wednessday evening for sure, if you are interested.

I admit I havent read each post in full I skimmed, but in case no one told you, there are fantail doves and fantail pigeons. I have a pair of fantail pigeons and I am in love, they are amazing and docile and beautiful

Indians Are A Good Breed To Start With . Raise Thereown Youg And Are Tame . Being A Poutry Breeder I Would Feed Layer Pellets . Compelet Feed And Birds Have To Eat All Can Not Pick Out Just One Or Two Favorites And Leave The Rest . To Lace A Tail Bacsicly Is Putting Feathers In Line .just A Show Feature To Inhance The Tail. Mottles Are White Pigeon With Color Feathers Spread Though Out . Self Color Is A Solid Colored Bird

Back
Top Bottom