Indian Runner Bantams?

Isaac 0

Enabler
7 Years
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
I happened to see an ad on Craiglist a few days ago for "Silver Mallard's and Call ducks", it a course instantly intrigued me and so, I then scheduled to pick them up. After arriving he led me into his coop. He had about thirty chickens in a 10 by 15 coop with the ducks i was to pick up, One of the duck's feathers around the eyes was completely bald due to, I'm sure the chickens pecking at it, the others had knots around there eyes as well as very poor feather condition. I couldn't even see any food or water being offered or any bathing tub for the ducks.

They all seem to be doing well now, plenty of bathing in water has done their feathers well, but i couldn't help but notice the "Silver Mallards" have more of an upright stance to them, very much unlike a mallards. They are just about the same size as a mallard but have an upright posture to them, I'm pretty sure they have some Indian runner in them, but I would like to see what you guys think. I don't think, I"ve ever heard of an Indian Runner bantam either. If anybody has anybody has any pictures of there's I'd love to see them.

DSC01003.JPG DSC01004.JPG DSC01013.JPG Poor Chocolate Call Duck

First, good on you for rescuing those poor birds. Sadly, some people just don't know (or want to know) how to care properly for animals. When I picked up my pasture pigs last year, the people had the most crusty-looking ducks (juvenile, I think) that I had ever seen. Horrifying.

Second, I have silver Runners and I think your suspicions may be warranted...my guess is that they're at least part Runner. I also haven't heard of bantam versions of Runners.

That poor Call duck...🙁 I bet they'll be lovely birds with a little (deserved) TLC, though. Best wishes for a healthy, happy flock!

First, good on you for rescuing those poor birds. Sadly, some people just don't know (or want to know) how to care properly for animals. When I picked up my pasture pigs last year, the people had the most crusty-looking ducks (juvenile, I think) that I had ever seen. Horrifying.

Second, I have silver Runners and I think your suspicions may be warranted...my guess is that they're at least part Runner. I also haven't heard of bantam versions of Runners.

That poor Call duck...🙁 I bet they'll be lovely birds with a little (deserved) TLC, though. Best wishes for a healthy, happy flock!

Thanks!

I was happy to find out that I took the last of his ducks.

I happened to see an ad on Craiglist a few days ago for "Silver Mallard's and Call ducks", it a course instantly intrigued me and so, I then scheduled to pick them up. After arriving he led me into his coop. He had about thirty chickens in a 10 by 15 coop with the ducks i was to pick up, One of the duck's feathers around the eyes was completely bald due to, I'm sure the chickens pecking at it, the others had knots around there eyes as well as very poor feather condition. I couldn't even see any food or water being offered or any bathing tub for the ducks.

They all seem to be doing well now, plenty of bathing in water has done their feathers well, but i couldn't help but notice the "Silver Mallards" have more of an upright stance to them, very much unlike a mallards. They are just about the same size as a mallard but have an upright posture to them, I'm pretty sure they have some Indian runner in them, but I would like to see what you guys think. I don't think, I"ve ever heard of an Indian Runner bantam either. If anybody has anybody has any pictures of there's I'd love to see them.

View attachment 2037695View attachment 2037697View attachment 2037698 Poor Chocolate Call Duck
They look like they are fairly large or is it just the pic? Bless you for rescuing those little ones.

Not runner crosses. Very nice Ducks. Look like white Appleyard to me..

Thanks, I think there gorgeous too.

What makes you so sure? I've had runners in the past, they remind me a lot like the ones i used to have. I don't quite see the resemblance to a White Appleyard, There much smaller and don't have an Orange bill as White Appleyards do.

1582915067029.png

White Appleyards?

Cool. Maybe it’s the upright stance. They are pretty and I am sure won’t be long till healthy an gorgeous. Oh my gosh when we went to get the 3 Muscovy females for my drake so he could have his own harem. They were kept In terrible condition. I know some think of ducks etc as livestock but my gosh they are still animals that need care. This person also had geese and goats I wish I could have brought them all home.

Cool. Maybe it’s the upright stance. They are pretty and I am sure won’t be long till healthy an gorgeous. Oh my gosh when we went to get the 3 Muscovy females for my drake so he could have his own harem. They were kept In terrible condition. I know some think of ducks etc as livestock but my gosh they are still animals that need care. This person also had geese and goats I wish I could have brought them all home.

Yes, It's very sad people think that way, he had geese too, but he at least had them free-ranging during the day. The little guys are already 10x better than how they were a week ago, the poor chocolate call started shivering after getting in the water, since she had no oil on her feathers. I will make sure to post update pictures in the following month.

Back
Top Bottom