Indian Runner duck and Pekin Duck?

If they are to be kept as Pets- I would sugest to go with Pekins- but find a good egg laying strain. They still might not give you the number of eggs a Runner will- but Pekins are generally much quieter birds.

Thank you! I'm defiantly going with the Pekin!
yippiechickie.gif

I have both Runner & Pekins. My Runners are a bit skittish but can be won over with food. My Pekins are extremely friendly and will do anything for food.

As far as egglaying, my Pekins have laid every single day, with no breaks since they started laying a year ago. Even on the coldest days last winter, they laid, without fail.

Our Runners sometimes took a small break, no more than a few days but they were good reliable layers as well. As far as quacking, there is no one louder than my Mallards and Calls. They quack so loudly that you can hear them all over!

I would get one of each and enjoy the difference in the two of them. They'll make a good contrast against one another.

Laurie

If you are going to get 3, get 2 pekins and a runner, or 2 runners and a pekin.

Ally (my fawn and white runner) flew off the deck steps this weekend and landed ON Tavarish, my doberman. The other day she flew into the side of Jet (my greyhound). Both dogs were like "The sky is falling!" but didn't even try to eat the ducks. Tavarish will run behind them sometimes, but he's looking to play and Jet will sometimes forget she's not allowed to chase after them when they are jumping around with their wings on the deck. But those things happen very infrequently (and hopefully stays that way).

Quote:

Hmmmmm...Runners are great layers, but aren't that social. Welsh Harelquins are good layers and pretty social. Moscovies are large, so they need some space, they are mainly quiet, and a real lap duck, I don't know about how they lay.

So are Pekins social? I'm thinking about just going with 2 pekins. I have heard good things about them on www.liveducks.com If you read the "Duckling Diary" Page, they were growing pekins. So, I'm just wondering if the Pekins are social, Because I know they are great egg layers
My male Pékin duck, named Mighty, is extremely friendly. He runs circles around our legs, if we walk towards the gate and wants us to pet him all the time. I can't imagine life without him. We had a chocolate runner female, her name was Deja Vu, she was actually the second female. We had purchased two ducklings at the same time, we no sooner got them in their aquarium, than the female died, her neck was broken. We don't know what happened, but that's how Mighty got his name. He seemed distraught, so we went right back to runnings and got another female. Sadly she was killed the day before Valentine's. She had a dozen eggs that she had just started sitting on, so we got an incubator. Just today, the 4 that remained viable after being chilled, are beginning to hatch. They will be Pékin & Chocolate Runner cross. Deja wasn't as friendly as Mighty, all she wanted was to be with him. They were never more than a few feet apart. Deja was especially cool because she laughed! Her quack sounded just like a belly laugh and she had timing that certainly seemed as though she was actually laughing at us. I sure miss her and I can hardly wait to meet her babies, later today or tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom