Indian Runner Duck Suddenly Having Trouble Standing/Walking - Any Advice?

KKLovesDucks

Hatching
Oct 7, 2015
Hi Everyone! My name is Kristen and I'm brand new to posting here. I have my first flock of Indian Runners (I normally raise chickens) and am hoping for some advice.

This afternoon I checked on my ducks and noticed that two of them were having trouble standing, walking or remaining upright. I immediately took them to the vet (our vet is a good sport who sees all kinds of farm animals) and he confirmed that they weren't sick or injured. The odd thing was, while at the vet, their balance seemed better and when I brought them both home, one seemed to have made a full recovery while the other is still unable to stand for long periods of time.

These ducks are all six month old girls and have all been healthy and active up to this point. They are eating Poulin Poultry Grower (suitable for chickens, turkeys, game birds and ducks) but I'm wondering if I should switch them to a layer food? Perhaps they are getting too much protein? Any ideas on what's going on?

Any advice or thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for reading! :)

@KKLovesDucks

Wow, it sounds like a toxin to me, maybe botulism. And one may have eaten more than the other of the toxin.

I would give some food grade charcoal powder in their drinking water tonight. A tablespoon or two in a gallon of water. And I would contact the vet in the morning and ask about botulism or other toxin.

Has it been hot and dry there?

Botulism is picked up when ducks get into rotting plant or animal matter.

Last edited:
@amiga Thank you so much. I'll go get some food grade charcoal! I'll let you know how it works. It has been chilly at night, but not too dry or wet. We had some serious rain last week though.

Back
Top Bottom