Indian Runner Duck supplements

FNF

Chirping
Jul 2, 2023
I have three female runner ducks that I raised as ducklings (born July 2023). They are all laying as of a month or so ago, but I have noticed their bill color changing, one is particularly dramatic. I've read about the xanthophyll/melanin pigmentation and how that can get depleted when they start laying resulting in the dark spots. On the one hand it helps me identify them easily, on the other, I don't want them to be nutritionally lacking although I've read it's harmless too. They free range a pasture and also get Mazuri, dried soldier fly larvae, peas, romaine, and other tidbits. I don't think they are really lacking nutrition but my understanding is corn, alfalfa, and egg yolks all have that xanthophyll to help even out pigmentation. Has anyone supplemented and seen this bill color resolve or change? Just curious; if I can give them some extra nutrition and it helps with pigment, why not? Here's a picture of the ladies getting their bedtime treats last night - you can see the difference in their bill pigmentation.

Attachments

• IMG_6680.jpg
    IMG_6680.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom