Indian runner duck tries to fly??

myduckduckie

Chirping
Dec 3, 2022
Hes 6 months old and he does this a couple months now i think but when he is inside the house (hes an house duck) he will run in circles while flapping his wings when we go outside he will some times jump and flap his wings (only comes forward about 1 to 2 meters) is this normal for a runner duck to do? (he doesnt do this everyday its sometimes)

My Runners love to flap their wings while running some do get a little lift. When my Runners were under a year old one of mine was up behind the house on the hill and some how managed to get enough lift to fly over the fence down below her onto the driveway. Thankfully I was home and able to get her back inside before a predator got her. Only thing I can think of was she took off from top of the hill which made the fence lower so she just glided over. None have ever done it since.

My runners flap and run every morning. Some catch lift and can fly a good distance at three to four feet height. If there's a substantial wind they can really get going. Yesterday two of them jump/flapped to the top of the hay bales. I think it's excellent exercise and they seem to enjoy racing around with wings flapping.

I'm trying to find a forum that talks about combining chickens with ducks and whether I have to build a separate duck house or not. I'm planning on getting just a few Indian runner ducks once I find a breeder because apparently the hatcheries won't send just a few. Do you have any pointers for me? And is there such a forum? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom