Indian Runner duck with broken/dislocated wing

kimirenerussell

Hatching
6 Years
May 7, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I have a 5 month old Indian Runner female duck with a droopy wing. This happened before and we went to the vet and they were going to charge us waaaay too much for an xray, plus I thought what would it accomplish - I wouldn't do surgery on a wing, so we decided to use pain meds and within a few weeks she was back to normal. This time it is the same wing, and the "elbow" joint feels very hard and swollen. I tried taping her up because it seems like it bothers her when it drops and she is continuously trying to bring it back up. She seemed to enjoy it being wrapped until they all decided to peck at it. At least this time she is still with the flock, she holds back a bit, but she is eating and drinking regularly and going swimming in the pools. She doesn't want to go for walks anymore though - they follow me down to the pond and back usually. And none of the others want to go without her!

So anyone have any advice on wrapping a broken wing? Or has anyone experienced this swollen joint/drooping wing? Maybe it's not what I think it is? Bacterial? Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi, never dealt with any issue like you've described, but I wanted to let you know that Celtic Oaks Farm had a wonderful post with pics describing how they bandage and treat Angel Wing. Not exactly what you asked for, but perhaps if you can locate it using the Search Box, it might be somewhat useful to you?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/452490/duck-with-a-broken-wing-help-please maybe this will help sounds like she may need some antibiotics if it's hot and swollen. please keep us updated. and
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks those posts were helpful. I got her an RC pet dog vest and put it so that it's holding the wing like a sling. She seems very comfortable. The swelling and heat has gone down a lot, I gave her the pain and inflammation meds from last time at the vets.

Thanks those posts were helpful. I got her an RC pet dog vest and put it so that it's holding the wing like a sling. She seems very comfortable. The swelling and heat has gone down a lot, I gave her the pain and inflammation meds from last time at the vets.

Hope she does well and is back to normal soon. thanks for updating and please keep doing so.

Back
Top Bottom