Indian Runner on Nest 😬

Jun 13, 2022
Hey guys

I have found out today that my chocolate Indian runner is currently sat on a nest...

I have recently given birth and my parter has been tending to my poulty for the past few weeks and has only just told me that shes on a nest of eggs. He said he thought this was normal for her as he got confused because our hens sit in the nesting box for a while when laying an egg. I asked him how long has she been lime this and he said 2 weeks (Ive been unable to get down there due to surgery).

Now I am a bit stuck on what to do, ive got a newborn so having ducklings would be very hard, I also dont have the space for them when they grow up as we are at maximum capacity as it is now. I dont know what to do and I dont want to destroy her nest as shes been on it for so long. Also how long do they take to hatch? Any suggestions?

Thank you x

Yep.
....ducklings don’t need to be weaned....
But
Post a photo of the parents on Craigslist now.
The babies can head out the day they hatch - so get some people on board to reserve them.
Make no promises for quantities, just say something like
“Accepting reservations on a first come, first serve basis. Please let us know how many babies you would like to add to your flock, and we will be in touch with availability as soon as they hatch!”

Look around on CL before posting to get an idea of what a fair price is in your area.
Set your price a little lower with the explanation that you are recovering from a surgery and they will be responsible for collecting the ducklings.

....at least, that I what I would do if I were in your shoes 😊

Yep.
....ducklings don’t need to be weaned....
But
Post a photo of the parents on Craigslist now.
The babies can head out the day they hatch - so get some people on board to reserve them.
Make no promises for quantities, just say something like
“Accepting reservations on a first come, first serve basis. Please let us know how many babies you would like to add to your flock, and we will be in touch with availability as soon as they hatch!”

Look around on CL before posting to get an idea of what a fair price is in your area.
Set your price a little lower with the explanation that you are recovering from a surgery and they will be responsible for collecting the ducklings.

....at least, that I what I would do if I were in your shoes 😊
I wouldn't do that because you don't know if any of them will hatch.

OP, has your hubby checked to see if they're fertile?

Checking them with a (very) strong flashlight is a good thought @Canadian Wind
....I should have mentioned that.
SMH
However.
I’m not talking about taking deposits, I’m only suggesting that they might want to try to get some folks lined up for what they -may- have 🙃

Even knowing fertility rates at this point certainly doesn’t guarantee a successful hatch. But it does go a long way towards helping you feel confident while writing an ad!

Checking them with a (very) strong flashlight is a good thought @Canadian Wind
....I should have mentioned that.
SMH
Lol! We can't think of everything! :hugs

However.
I’m not talking about taking deposits, I’m only suggesting that they might want to try to get some folks lined up for what they -may- have 🙃

Even knowing fertility rates at this point certainly doesn’t guarantee a successful hatch. But it does go a long way towards helping you feel confident while writing an ad!
I've had terrible luck this year with hatching, both myself and with broodies, so I always try to err on the side of caution.

I'll start getting excited about my 25 Muscovy ducklings when they reach adulthood.

Lol! We can't think of everything! :hugs

I've had terrible luck this year with hatching, both myself and with broodies, so I always try to err on the side of caution.

I'll start getting excited about my 25 Muscovy ducklings when they reach adulthood.
Sorry to hear that!!!
Glad the Muscovies are doing well.

Having surgery recovery continuing, a new baby, all the chaos that comes w all of that....

I’d be honest about the situation and post the ad, rather than having to sit on them for a while.
It’s easier to contact people and apologize, than to deal w babies, even under a broody, when you are most feeling under the weather 🤷‍♀️

Either way- the babies can move on as quickly as possible!

Back
Top Bottom