Indian runner with a broken femur

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ingersolls, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Ingersolls

Ingersolls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    I have an Indian runner with a broken femur I believe it broke 4 or more days ago. We have had an xray done to see where it was and it is really high up. We have tried splinting it 4 times and all keep coming off. She is walking in it and doesnt seem to be in too much pain. I have her in a dog crate to keep her quiet and she is eatinf and drinking ok.
    Im just wondering if this is something that might heal with time on its own or if she should be put to sleep (which I dont want to do unless there are no other options). Also wondering about amputation?
    Thanks!

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If she gets around fine, I'd keep her confined for a while to let it heal a bit. She'll likely be just fine, maybe a bit of a hobble/limp/different walk, but as long as she gets around fine with the break, letting it heal on its own should be fine.

3. Ingersolls

Ingersolls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    That is what I was hoping and after seeing her go from not walking to slightly using it I was very hopefull. I was thinking of keeping her confined for 5 weeks and re xraying her. I have pain meds for her also.

4. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    My Indian Runner lost a leg to a fox attack. He is healing fine, but it is tough for him to get the balance and strength in the one leg so he can hop around. He lays a lot but can hop okay, he is just so small still (the smallest of the flock). I want him to grow and fatten up already! I would say if your duck can get around already that is a pretty good sign!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by