Indian Runner with a really large crop? Normal?

Frostbite is no concern in those temps. When their feet get cold, they'll just lay down and tuck it into their fluff. I've had some out in -40F temps, with no problems.

Oh good :) I thought my fawn and white runner was trying to push out an egg this morning, but she was probably just colder than the rest. She kept kind of limping on the hard parts of the frost, laying down and getting back up, and then standing on one foot. I bet her little feet were just cold ❄now she’s running around normally and no egg to be found lol.

Oh and this is the first poop I could catch this morning—I’m sure there were more before it haha. I think it looks like this because she’s been eating/drinking a ton of mud this morning though. She ate the Mazuri (floating) Waterfowl Maintenance with the rest of the flock this morning.

Attachments

• 205630B6-73D5-406B-BC78-B5CDC9B5AD59.jpeg
    205630B6-73D5-406B-BC78-B5CDC9B5AD59.jpeg
    838.6 KB · Views: 12
Oh good :) I thought my fawn and white runner was trying to push out an egg this morning, but she was probably just colder than the rest. She kept kind of limping on the hard parts of the frost, laying down and getting back up, and then standing on one foot. I bet her little feet were just cold ❄now she’s running around normally and no egg to be found lol.

Oh and this is the first poop I could catch this morning—I’m sure there were more before it haha. I think it looks like this because she’s been eating/drinking a ton of mud this morning though. She ate the Mazuri (floating) Waterfowl Maintenance with the rest of the flock this morning.

That is a lot of dirt, and sand in her droppings. That can be an indicator the bird has a blockage in their digestive system, which may also explain the bloated looking crop, as the food wasn't able to properly pass. I'm not completely confident that's the reason, but if she continues to produce poops containing that much sand, I may get some Metamucil, mix it in with water, and give her a few drops orally, twice a day, to help push out any blockages in her digestive tract.

That is a lot of dirt, and sand in her droppings. That can be an indicator the bird has a blockage in their digestive system, which may also explain the bloated looking crop, as the food wasn't able to properly pass. I'm not completely confident that's the reason, but if she continues to produce poops containing that much sand, I may get some Metamucil, mix it in with water, and give her a few drops orally, twice a day, to help push out any blockages in her digestive tract.
Oh no. Could I mix a few drops into some water and have her drink it? I’m scared to death of having her aspirate liquid. Would it be bad if my other birds got some too? Almost all of their poops look like this the last few days during the day time because they are playing in the snowy wet mud and I’m sure eating a ton of it :/

night time poops look more normal from what I can tell in the coop.

**this is her latest poop from this afternoon—cecal? Is that correct? Very gooey and very stinky

Attachments

• C02A9894-6443-452D-99BF-C6A81BF57028.jpeg
    C02A9894-6443-452D-99BF-C6A81BF57028.jpeg
    835.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Oh no. Could I mix a few drops into some water and have her drink it? I’m scared to death of having her aspirate liquid. Would it be bad if my other birds got some too? Almost all of their poops look like this the last few days during the day time because they are playing in the snowy wet mud and I’m sure eating a ton of it :/

night time poops look more normal from what I can tell in the coop.

**this is her latest poop from this afternoon—cecal? Is that correct? Very gooey and very stinky

I should have mentioned that. If that is her normal poop, don't worry about it. I have serious mud-digging ducks as well, and I've never seen that much mud, and sand in poop, but if she has been producing those poops that often, I'd say leave her be.

I should have mentioned that. If that is her normal poop, don't worry about it. I have serious mud-digging ducks as well, and I've never seen that much mud, and sand in poop, but if she has been producing those poops that often, I'd say leave her be.

I’m by no means the poop expert for my guys that’s for sure, BUT they free range almost all day every day because I’ve been working from home, and they eat SO MUCH MUD. It’s bad usually, but it’s been even more so with all this moisture we’ve had lately. Their poops are green they’re eating grass, but on particularly wet days they eat a whole lot of dirt and drink a whole lot of dirty water off the ground and they have dark brown poops (they dig in a dark brown almost black soil pile we have).

Does the last poop look slightly more normal? I remember reading somewhere that this type of poop (Cecal?)is good as long as it’s only sometimes.

Last edited:
Does the last poop look slightly more normal? I remember reading somewhere that this type of poop (Cecal?)is good as long as it’s only sometimes.

Looks OK to me. Ducks tend to have very watery stools since they drink so much water.

Looks OK to me. Ducks tend to have very watery stools since they drink so much water.
Two poop updates :gigNot sure if these are maybe looking better

Attachments

• 24360968-57C9-47E9-A526-56F67CC11D6C.jpeg
    24360968-57C9-47E9-A526-56F67CC11D6C.jpeg
    739.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 64CAEA1F-AF31-43F2-9117-7A23657B4370.jpeg
    64CAEA1F-AF31-43F2-9117-7A23657B4370.jpeg
    952.6 KB · Views: 8
Two poop updates :gigNot sure if these are maybe looking better

The first picture is what I'm used to seeing around here, but the second one looks a little off, but if she's acting fine, I wouldn't worry. This duck seems to have a wide variety in her poops.

Back
Top Bottom