Indian Runner with a really large crop? Normal?

AzDuck

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
Arizona
I have one Indian runner female duck that I have noticed has a large “jiggly” crop area. Has anyone on here had to help their duck clear their crop? I’ve read where some people make them throw up, but I’m scared it may hurt her.

I noticed it looked full and jiggly yesterday, but I didn’t think much of it because I thought she was just full from lunch. Plus, she has a slightly different shape than the other ducks. I also didn’t check this morning, but now that I was thinking about it, it looks large again. Should I wait one more day to see if goes away? None of the other runners have a crop this size.

I should add that she is acting completely fine. I just took these (pardon the mud—it’s snowing).

Attachments

• CE786B72-2260-4AAB-85E9-1E41B6A37A94.jpeg
    CE786B72-2260-4AAB-85E9-1E41B6A37A94.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 48
  • BA7DBE56-5F74-4014-9962-5FCA6B0D4E68.png
    BA7DBE56-5F74-4014-9962-5FCA6B0D4E68.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 22
Trying to induce vomiting in a bird, of any kind, is a bad idea as the bird may aspirate on the fluids whilst they are coming out of the crop , which can result in pneumonia which is often fatal.

The best thing, would be to wait tomorrow morning, and feel her crop then. Also, pay attention to her feces. If the crop is full in the morning, and her feces look abnormal, let us know

I don’t have a poop picture yet, it was so cold this morning and frosted over it looked like they all had super cold feet, so I put them in their run until the sun comes up all the way. This is how she looks this morning though (much less full). I think she just might have more of a curve to her neck/body than my other two runners. I’ll watch for poop when I let them back out.

*how worried do I need to be about frostbite and ducks? They always have a dry run to go into, but they choose not to:confused: it literally looked like it hurt for them to be walking on the frost this morning—ouch! It was 18F

Frostbite is no concern in those temps. When their feet get cold, they'll just lay down and tuck it into their fluff. I've had some out in -40F temps, with no problems.

Do you take food an water up over night? If not do so you can check her in the morning. If it looks like this in the morning after not eating she’s most likely got a problem .
We leave water overnight, always have. But we are stopping that—starting this evening. They are making such a mess and getting their bedding wet.

UPDATE: I added a picture of her latest poop today. It’s the only one I happened to catch her in the act of.

Thank you. I hope I didn’t hurt her today doing the massaging. I didn’t do anything very hard, I just kind of moved her crop around to see what it felt like. She didn’t throw up though—should that be alright?

And how would it look if it was abnormal? I feel like all of their poop looks abnormal lol. Sometimes it’s super watery, sometimes it’s much more solid. Sometimes green, sometimes brown, or white or even almost black. I could drive myself crazy analyzing duck poop:barnie

Not much urates in the photo, so that might suggest she is drinking lots of water, and not much feed. Let us know how she is in the morning, and if you can, post another poop picture.

Oh no. Could I mix a few drops into some water and have her drink it? I’m scared to death of having her aspirate liquid. Would it be bad if my other birds got some too? Almost all of their poops look like this the last few days during the day time because they are playing in the snowy wet mud and I’m sure eating a ton of it :/

night time poops look more normal from what I can tell in the coop.

**this is her latest poop from this afternoon—cecal? Is that correct? Very gooey and very stinky

I should have mentioned that. If that is her normal poop, don't worry about it. I have serious mud-digging ducks as well, and I've never seen that much mud, and sand in poop, but if she has been producing those poops that often, I'd say leave her be.

I should have mentioned that. If that is her normal poop, don't worry about it. I have serious mud-digging ducks as well, and I've never seen that much mud, and sand in poop, but if she has been producing those poops that often, I'd say leave her be.

I’m by no means the poop expert for my guys that’s for sure, BUT they free range almost all day every day because I’ve been working from home, and they eat SO MUCH MUD. It’s bad usually, but it’s been even more so with all this moisture we’ve had lately. Their poops are green they’re eating grass, but on particularly wet days they eat a whole lot of dirt and drink a whole lot of dirty water off the ground and they have dark brown poops (they dig in a dark brown almost black soil pile we have).

Does the last poop look slightly more normal? I remember reading somewhere that this type of poop (Cecal?)is good as long as it’s only sometimes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom