Indian Runners and Saxonys getting along?

loofa

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Will a single Saxony hen do well in a mostly Indian Runner flock? There are some muscovys too, but I hear they are a bit different from other ducks and keep to their own more.

Will a single Saxony hen do well in a mostly Indian Runner flock? There are some muscovys too, but I hear they are a bit different from other ducks and keep to their own more.
She's likely gonna have heck to pay (and may take a beating) if introduced to an established flock as an only new comer.. Raised together.. my expectation is that of post #2.

I haven't had the opportunity to integrate ducks but expect pecking order dynamics and some territoriality to be in full swing as they are with *most* other species.

Keeping to yourself is normal for ANY newcomer.. until they make some friends regardless of breed. New unknown environments makes for not usual behavior.. Is this the one you found at 3 am.. and why were you wandering the streets at that time?! (just a playful way to ask about the duck)

:fl

She's likely gonna have heck to pay (and may take a beating) if introduced to an established flock as an only new comer.. Raised together.. my expectation is that of post #2.

I haven't had the opportunity to integrate ducks but expect pecking order dynamics and some territoriality to be in full swing as they are with *most* other species.

Keeping to yourself is normal for ANY newcomer.. until they make some friends regardless of breed. New unknown environments makes for not usual behavior.. Is this the one you found at 3 am.. and why were you wandering the streets at that time?! (just a playful way to ask about the duck)

:fl
yes, my drake continues to bully her so aggressively that I started exploring the idea of re-homing her in hopes she would find a gentler life. I really like her and hate to see her go, but I have not found anything that works to stop her being constantly beat up - it's not just over-mating, he chases her off, and constantly climbs on top of her in a dominance more than mating kind of way - I worry she'll get a leg injury from being constantly stood on - he often just stands there on her back like a surfer. But your comment makes me think she might not fare any better in another flock. Maybe she needs to be somewhere with no drake. Someone in a FB group said that khaki campbell drakes are more intense/hormonal than others, so I thought maybe the Indian runners would be better. Sigh. I'm kind of at my wit's end with this situation.

yes, my drake continues to bully her so aggressively that I started exploring the idea of re-homing her in hopes she would find a gentler life. I really like her and hate to see her go, but I have not found anything that works to stop her being constantly beat up - it's not just over-mating, he chases her off, and constantly climbs on top of her in a dominance more than mating kind of way - I worry she'll get a leg injury from being constantly stood on - he often just stands there on her back like a surfer. But your comment makes me think she might not fare any better in another flock. Maybe she needs to be somewhere with no drake. Someone in a FB group said that khaki campbell drakes are more intense/hormonal than others, so I thought maybe the Indian runners would be better. Sigh. I'm kind of at my wit's end with this situation.
sorry, that was not so clear. The potential new flock is Indian Runners. Duck I'm rehoming is a Saxony. My drake is a khaki c.

My Indian runners have always been good at welcoming a new comer. The older ones will lower their heads and act all prissy and the drake will say I don’t want to have anything to do with you but he comes around. So far I’ve introduced 1 Buff last year and this year in Jan another Runner and a Cayuga all 3 -4 yrs old. The Cayuga had the most trouble adapting because she came with attitude and actually picked on some of the others but they are all one big happy family now. Thankfully both my Runner drakes are not mean to their ladies just my 2 12 yr old Muscovy females but I keep them separated from the rest of the flock

where are you located? are you still thinking of rehoming her where no drakes are? I have zero drakes, and 11 hens
I'm near Portland Oregon. Where are you? I'm on the fence about it; I would be sad to see her go, but I just want what will be best for her. Rehoming is traumatic, and she had a big trauma last fall - she was a tattered lost/stray who we rescued - but I also think her daily life here with my drake bullying her is hard. Right now I'm keeping her mostly away from him by alternating who is in the pen and who is free-ranging.

Will you KC still be with you? And your bringing in new Runners?
I'm not bringing in runners, I had someone who wanted to adopt her into their flock of runners. I'm sorry I really wasn't being very clear with my messaging earlier, I am squeezing in trying to attend to my duck issues with doing my taxes today. I'm keeping the KC because he is a drake and I know it's harder to find good homes for drakes. He's being a bully to my Saxony, but I know it's just his nature and I want what is best for both of them.

Back
Top Bottom