Indian Runners

Smurfbrew, it sounds like you are doing good for your ducks. Since they are still kinda young, I think you're right to be responsive to their needs. This is also my first winter with ducks, with any animals for that matter. It will be a learning experience for sure.

Thanks for sharing all this. My plans are to provide heat if they look like they need it when weather dips below 10 degrees. I'm very hopeful that they don't need it once they adjust to the winter weather, I'm hoping that this cold front just caught them off guard and they'll be fine in the future. I also will try to fill their swim tubs at least once a week on the warmest day (ideally more than that) say around 20 or 25 degrees F. And you've made me realize that fresh bedding is important. I've been doing a deep litter method with pine shavings, but I'm afraid it holds too much moisture when the ducks spend all day in their house if it's cold like this, the shavings don't have a chance to dry out.

Your duckling pictures are really cute by the way! :)

Smurfbrew, it sounds like you are doing good for your ducks. Since they are still kinda young, I think you're right to be responsive to their needs. This is also my first winter with ducks, with any animals for that matter. It will be a learning experience for sure.

Thanks for sharing all this. My plans are to provide heat if they look like they need it when weather dips below 10 degrees. I'm very hopeful that they don't need it once they adjust to the winter weather, I'm hoping that this cold front just caught them off guard and they'll be fine in the future. I also will try to fill their swim tubs at least once a week on the warmest day (ideally more than that) say around 20 or 25 degrees F. And you've made me realize that fresh bedding is important. I've been doing a deep litter method with pine shavings, but I'm afraid it holds too much moisture when the ducks spend all day in their house if it's cold like this, the shavings don't have a chance to dry out.

Your duckling pictures are really cute by the way! :)

Thanks Tracy! I'm doing my best. Yesterday I went out and got some treated plywood to make more of a windbreak for them when they are in their pen. I'm not too worried about them being warm when they are in the house overnite, but they only go into it at night, so I'm mostly worried about when they are in their pen all day. Dizzy, my runner shivers a lot, which has me worried. However, whenever I filled up their plastic tub for swimming, she perks up a bit and seems happier. The water is probably warmer than the air since it's not frozen.

Something I did not make (yet), but considered was a plywood A-frame shelter, with dark paint on the south side, and plenty of dry straw underneath.

Their first year, we had much more trouble with the cold - the ducks had not filled out fully, and they were laying for fourteen months. I had the luxury of a flexible schedule, so I would let them out for a couple of hours, then back in to warm up.

I was fussed at - told I was going to give the ducks pneumonia. Did not happen. The night pen / storm shelter is not what most Americans would consider warm. The temperature differential was not a problem, as far as I can tell.

Yeah I know what you mean about the shivering, Smurfbrew. That's what worries me, too. But I guess they have it under control. I think they will go inside to warm up if they need to... at first I had to show mine that they could go back into their house and then they got the hang of it.

A passive solar a-frame is a good idea, Amiga... I've been thinking of doing something similar with a dog house I acquired a while back. Yeah, it seems people like to fuss about providing added heat. I think it would be nice and ideal to not use heat, but you have to care for the ducks you have not the ducks you think you ought to have or that you wish you had. I don't think it breaks them in any way if you're smart about it and aware of the risks. But I guess I'll find out if I'm right or wrong in a few months.

Also, I can't help but wonder if the folks making these comments have a different definition of cold than I do or you do. To some, 32 degrees is as cold as it gets and that's what they mean when they say "really cold." It's funny how few people say exactly what temp they mean by cold. And when some do, they don't define celsius or fahrenheit. Also, they might have breeds that are particularly cold hardy. I originally thought all ducks are hardy, but after some experience, I realize that might not be the case. Just gotta get informed and make your own judgment call I guess.

Last edited:
my Indian runners at 7 and 8 weeks old. Apparently she claimed the water bucket as her own personal pool.

Here's another thing my hubby just thought of that we are doing for our ducks: we have surrounded the outside of their daytime pen with bales of straw stacked 2 high. It's tall enough to block the wind on the ducks, but low enough for good ventilation still. He wanted to stack them taller, but I thought that might muffle them too much. They seem to appreciate it and it keeps the blowing snow out better as well.

Anyone have hatching eggs for black runners? Pretty pretty please. I know it's pretty cold some places... but it's about 50 degrees here..

Hi everyone, I am new to BYC. I have 2 Fawn & White Indian Runners (9mons old), both hens. I would love to get a drake or two, does anyone have any for sale?
In regards to cold weather for my babies, our lowest temp here in northern Idaho got down to 7 degrees with some wind chill factor of below zero. My babies did well this winter. Their feet did get cold and they would just lay down in the yard when they needed to warm their feet-they are free range along with our 6 chickens. We got about 1 foot of snow and frozen ice for many weeks. I have a kiddy pool for them & a heater to keep the water from freezing-they were in it every day & one hen played eggs all through this cold weather.
Thanks for all your sharing.

Back
Top Bottom