Indian Runners

Here is an idea for a house/run. This is where my 5 runners stay at night. It is covered on ALL sides with 1/2inch hardware cloth.

50515_0613001907.jpg

Here is looking inside. I have a halfsized horse trough in the run for bathing and splashing around.

50515_hpim1479.jpg

I got runners this past spring and I love them. For those of you considering the baby pool route, be prepared to change the water in the baby pool daily or an minimum every other day. They will poop in the water until its disgusting. I agree with one of the previous poster, they love to make mud holes too. Mine free range and they have dug little holes all over the yard. They are very funny and have great personality. I wouldn't give them up for the world. They are good layers too!

I only have 3 runners and the large plastic pool with a slide. I've got it intentionally sitting on a small slop in the duck yard and do not fill it entirely.
I get about 4 days out of it. Day 4, they don't spend a lot of time in it.

They got fresh water on the 25th. I gave them fresh water again on the 29th - so 4 days and then the 5th day it gets drained, rinsed, refilled. Then they jump in while it's filling, get clean and then promptly poop in it again LOL

Quote:
So do they sleep in that area of is that like a little duck door behind them and the feeder and they sleep in what's back there?

Quote:
So do they sleep in that area of is that like a little duck door behind them and the feeder and they sleep in what's back there?

Yep. Behind the feeder is a door into their house. It has a window above the door but you can't really see that. The floor in the house is raised and I have rubber stall mat cut to fit. Then I put white shavings on the mat for them to nest in. Right now I have a heat lamp in there too. It's been 20* here and they are a little spoiled!

It works very nice. I shovel out the shavings and hose the mat down once a week. I hose down the rocks in the run twice a week but, again it is slightly raised so the poopy water runs out and into the yard. Fertilizer!! Then I have a small electric sump pump that I use once or twice a week to pump out the trough. It's pretty easy. 1-2 hours a week and it stays pretty clean!!

Back
Top Bottom