INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    For those of you that went to the Chicken Fest:
    What size of cone did we use and what size was the pot for the hot water?

2. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Shawna- that's how it looks when my neighbors dog gets my chickens!! Both times 2 were gone with lots of feathers around. I'm curious about the straw though!! There's more to this story. Do you have neighbors that can see your place?

3. JAG0105

JAG0105 Out Of The Brooder

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My first chickies were in their pen and I never thought they were in harms way, so never closed them up in their coop at night. Well this BIG coon dug under our shed and got all nine of them. we found legs and other parts and some feathers all over the pen four of the nine we never found any part of them or sign of where they were taken. away, but then
    well I have now seven new chickens they are now 8 weeks old and the are totally secure. We put them to bed every night and close the coop door and only let them out when we are home.

4. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana

They are two years old. Hopefully your chickens stay safe. I have had many close encounters with hawks and a falcon but luckily no chickens were harmed during any of those incidents.

5. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Got some more pictures of some of the other silkies I have. I still have 6 more younger guys that I haven't taken pictures of.
    White roo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Partridge roo (tail slowly coming back)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Partridge showgirl pullet (hopefully!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Partridge roo and showgirl together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second partridge roo I'm pretty sure (light skinned and still plucking tail). The blue on tail is blukote.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And lastly my youngest group of birchen marans
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    What happened? Did they get into their yard? Do you have a fence to contain your flock? Do you live in a city? Is is loud roosters you have? Sounds like a flying issue tho. Must contain your chicks, and give your neighbor some eggs while saying sorry.

7. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    I'm guessing it was a 15 gallon pot. John or Racin will know tho. The cone large opening was about 10-12'' across.

1 person likes this.
  8. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    ugh I hate that :/

9. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Today was a good chicken day. We met up with Judy who actually brought me two little chicks. Not sure if they are both female, but I can always hope. They are all being treated now so that they can get over what was troubling them. Everyone seems to be doing well. Once we got them all settled in, I went out to the coop to uncover one of the nesting boxes. I had left them blocked off since my girls weren't old enough, so today I had to fix her up. I emptied out the tools and filled the nesting box with shavings. I know I shouldn't be surprised by this, but she walked right in like she owned the place, sat down, and gave me another beautiful egg. I think she was starting to get a complex though. I was staring and I think it made her nervous. Do all chickens "sing" while they are laying their egg? The boys all came inside to see what she was up too. Very interesting stuff I guess.

I promise not to take daily egg pics (since we've all seen eggs before), but today's egg was even prettier than yesterdays. Just WOW!

[​IMG]They are all so cute and they are constantly cleaning their feet. [​IMG]They will have the cleanest feet in town.

[​IMG] It is actually green, but not showing up well.

Browncow- sorry about your neighbors. I hope you guys work it out.
    Bradselig- That partridge color is really pretty but those little showgirls just crack me up!
    Sally-Thank you for mentioning the bloom drying. I was wondering why my pretty new egg had speckles on it.
    Shawna- I'm really happy your chickens came home. Its so sad to lose them.
    MillerBirds & Cccchickens- Safe Travels.

10. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    The cone was a medium. sized for broilers.
    The pot was 10 gal/40 qt. But it's overkill for chickens. We needed it for the turkey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by