INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. animallover2202

animallover2202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    What will make a chicken turn to its normal white color????

2. BackyardBitten

BackyardBitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    CRSelvey~~ So cool u got to see ur hen come up and lay an egg. I know that when my leghorns started laying, i heard that old familiar "egg laying song" a couple of times, but i don't know if they do it all the time. Cute baby pics by the way!!!

Browncow~~ that sucks!!!! i hope everything goes well with ur neighbors!

Shawna~~ Sorry to hear about ur loss of chickens.

On to my question: Can anyone tell me about dit. earth? Or at least point me in the direction of a website or place on here that talks about DE? I am seeing chicken sized "pits" in my run and i know they are dusting.

3. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all these and some others I probably missed. Next day, smaller egg and the shell not as rough. Is it the same chicken? Do they start laying every day once they start?

I didn't get the $10 EE's. He finally answered and said they were gone.

4. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I know this wasn't meant for me but I have been looking for EEs. If anyone is looking to sell one or two, let me know.

5. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    I have two roosters, but that's probably not what you are asking about, lol.

6. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    I read both of these articles before buying mine.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/food-grade-de-diatomaceous-earth
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/05/diatomaceous-earth-de-benefitrisk.html

1 person likes this.
  7. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I will be playing catch up hopefully tomorrow at work... So.. Before I do, throwing this out there...

Looking for a bantam Cochin rooster, either blue, splash or mottled.. Would prefer he was close to or mature, may consider younger if the colours were good. Would not say no to a few more girls either.

Found one digging through the Internet but the lady wants $50 a bird which I think is rather salty.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  8. BackyardBitten

BackyardBitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
  9. ShawnaScott

ShawnaScott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2013
    Frankfort, IN
    My neighbors have a very big, mean looking dog that could have gotten the chicken. I often walk to work (I live right down the road) and on more than one occasion I have felt that I was being followed/watched, only to turn around and see the dog following me. It is NOT friendly, I almost felt like it was stalking me like prey, which is unusual as most dogs love me. They may know I have chickens because on rainy days the man will sometimes wait in his car to drive me home (which is super nice!), but no, they can't see my house. I am surrounded by corn, and the coop didn't go up until the corn was high. I still can't figure out who brought it. I didn't realize straw had so much in a bale, I put down more ag lime today and used the straw on top. I used the whole thing and once I got it all shook out it added like 6 inches!
    That's horrible! I hope your new babies stay safe! I don't think what got mine was coons, reason being, that we put our garbage out behind our house to wait until pick up day, and nothing ever tears it up. Except my dogs! I know at my mom's they have to keep it under lock and key so they don't mess with it. I don't keep the bags in a trash can because all of mine got stolen o.0
    You must be related to my in laws! Until I started seeing Zach, I never heard "expensive" and "salty" as being synonyms, but his family says it all the time. And I agree, $50 for a chicken is a bit much.

10. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Thats crazy expensive, even for SQ! If you don't find hens let me know, I will hatch some for you. Eggs may be easier to find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by