INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    There you go again... .speaking to my I love anything that's fuzzy side. A friends wants to hunt the coyotes in our woods this fall and I haven't decided if I'll let him or not yet. We're eventually going to fence in the entire back yard so I'm hoping that will help with any predator situation. I really think it was a hawk that got Tansy so my rage against the coyotes is dwindling. It's always frustrating trying to find a balance with nature when it's so easy to simply impose our will on it.

2. bHen

bHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    Westfield, IN
    I am looking for a couple of roosters... hatchery stock is OK! I need 1-2 of buff orpington roosters and a silver laced wyandott. They will be well cared for and have plenty of ladies waiting on them! I am 20min north of Indy and looking for someone close by! Please pm if you have anything!

3. Quinstar

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    Carl is hands down the sweetest one in our flock. Granted, he's only 15 weeks old but I'm praying everyday that he doesn't change. As soon as I figured out he was a roo I made sure that he was handled all the time. Every time I'm in the yard with them I scoop him up and tuck him in my arm while we all walk around. I don't know if this contributed to his good personality or if all roos are like them when they are young. I guess the next couple of weeks should tell.

This is not what I wanted to hear! If Carl starts acting poorly I might cry.

4. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    To those with rooster problems, it's been my experience that they do settle down once they've had a chance to mature. If it was me, I would build a bachelor coop / pen for them and just keep them separate until they're over a year old, at which point they should be a bit more mature and better with the ladies. This all depends on the breed, of course, because some are just more aggressive than others, but I've noticed that mine have calmed down significantly once they're around 1 1/2 years old.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  5. Quinstar

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    Thunder Chicken~ Good to know. What breed has already started laying for you?

6. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Red sex-link.

7. Crafty chick

Crafty chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2012
    Pierceton, Indiana
    anyone near columbus have some fertile eggs? i have an orp girl go broody, andwould like to add new blood to the flock. any LF would be good :)

8. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    This is to everyone who is interested in my EEs. They haven't been sold yet. After the eggs in the incubator have hatched ( they are hatching this weekend and I go into lockdown today woohoo!) I plan on putting some EE crosses in there if anyone is interested.

Update on white hen
    I have been giving her electrolytes for awhile now and is slowly improving. Nothing seems injured in her legs so I think I might buy a baby pool that's deep enough so she can swim, under my supervision, and rebuild her leg muscles after typically sitting in one place. Also I forgot to mention her name is Lola.

9. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't seen much damage, he got Jules (His best girl ;) ) A little on her comb, but she is fine now. He only seems to be interested in her and the new Chocolate Australorp , Godiva. He doesn't mess with our EE or the other two Sl/ wyandottes or the cochin. So there are 6 girls and him in the large fowl coop. I Just took two mix roos back to Cluck and he gave me the two new girls, so Gus is now the lone roo out there. If I confine him alone in the coop or run, he has a fit. I really don't want to make it worse by separating him. We really like him and he is beautiful. When I let them out in the mornings he will come down the ramp dancing but I either pick him up or run my hand down his back and walk through him if he tries to stand in my way. It seems to be working. My main concern is when my nephews and niece come over. They range from a few months old to 10. The older ones want to help feed the chickens, and Gus really tries to test them. Now if he does that I pick Gus up and hand him off to the kids to hold and it has seemed to lessen the pushyness. Also they free range with the alpacas on a 5 ft fenced half acre from morning until evening, but seem to enjoy hanging out on their roosts in the run, and dust bathe in the sand. I have lazy chickens.
    I really hope that is the case with him. I can't really build a bachelor coop since I now only have one LF Roo. I did that on purpose. I wanted a small amount of hens, so I knew I could only keep one roo with only six hens. I aslo have a silkie coop with 5 girls and Booker my roo. But I don't think it's a good idea to put Gus and Booker back together. They get along fine, but Gus is too big for Booker if they would fight. Should I get another roo? I have the option to get my blue Cochin boy back. Maybe having some competition would chill him out.

10. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Kinda reminds me of the folks that live-trap feral cats, neuter them, release them, and complain that there just don't seem to be as many songbirds as there used to be. Must be the pesticides. Couldn't be the 200 cats per acre.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by