INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hi, Fellow Hoosiers! Thanks to TooFast for making me aware of this thread.
    I'm a first-time-chicken-mom and though I researched the bejezus out of everything before I started, it's all new to me.

We live in the city, and have a small coop area with totally fenced in chicken run. 8 pullets ranging from 12 weeks to 18 weeks, 7 of them planned and one surviving packing peanut. 3 Cream Legbars, a Dominique, a Golden Cuckoo Maran, a Delaware, Bantam Black Orpington (the packing peanut), and what's supposed to be a Gold Laced Wyandotte, but is not. Who knows what she is, but she's very big.

Aretha, our oldest Crem Legbar, laid our first egg on Sunday and as of this morning (Wednesday) we had not yet got another from her. If she doesn't get busy soon, I'll be forced to have cereal for breakfast on Saturday, instead of eggs!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I was always against killing them until I had one stare me down from about 50 feet away. Completely calm with no fear. It then stalked my property and my chickens over the course of a few weeks and picked them off one by one in the middle of the day. Would jump my picket fence and take them right off my porch. I still don't think I could take one down myself but I was glad to have some peace when my neighbor shot at it. He doesn't think he actually hit it but it must have scared it enough to move on. They are beautiful and we as people have certainly disrupted nature over the years, but I was at the point I was afraid to let my littlest daughter go out and play in the yard let alone my little dog. All that being said I haven't read the article yet. I'm in my office. :) I'll read it when I get home tonight though.

3. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I'm glad to hear that Lola is improving! I was just wondering about her. The pool idea is great because I have decided that Violet needs physical therapy. Her "good" leg is always straight and it's stiff. I'm going to call the vet today for advice first. Violet is used to baths, but I'm not sure she'd want to be placed in a pool although I would have my hands on her for support and security. I'll probably try using a 28 qt. plastic storage box 28 x 16" x 6" deep. Let me know how Lola's therapy goes.

4. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Welcome! Congrats on your first egg too :)

5. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Welcome pginsber. Congrats on the first egg. Nice flock.

6. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana

I have never gave her a bath so when I put her in the pool probably not to fun for Lola. I will also tell you how it goes and I'm glad Violet is better. :)

7. Mother2Hens

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Originally Posted by Quinstar [​IMG]
    There you go again... .speaking to my I love anything that's fuzzy side. A friends wants to hunt the coyotes in our woods this fall and I haven't decided if I'll let him or not yet. We're eventually going to fence in the entire back yard so I'm hoping that will help with any predator situation. I really think it was a hawk that got Tansy so my rage against the coyotes is dwindling. It's always frustrating trying to find a balance with nature when it's so easy to simply impose our will on it.

Originally Posted by julie0477
    I was always against killing them until I had one stare me down from about 50 feet away. Completely calm with no fear. It then stalked my property and my chickens over the course of a few weeks and picked them off one by one in the middle of the day. Would jump my picket fence and take them right off my porch. I still don't think I could take one down myself but I was glad to have some peace when my neighbor shot at it. He doesn't think he actually hit it but it must have scared it enough to move on. They are beautiful and we as people have certainly disrupted nature over the years, but I was at the point I was afraid to let my littlest daughter go out and play in the yard let alone my little dog. All that being said I haven't read the article yet. I'm in my office. :) I'll read it when I get home tonight though.

[​IMG]

I do understand that people have to protect themselves and their livestock from wild animals. Through this thread, I have gained perspective and more tolerance. Sometimes though, my lifelong desire to protect wild animals rises to the point that I feel the need to advocate for them. I [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]definitely agree that a brazen wild animal should be put down or that certain populations need to be controlled, but I don't understand killing wildlife for the sport of it. But that's how I was raised~ anti-gun and animal/nature loving. Plus, I grew up outside the city limits, but not so far in the country that we had to worry about predators.[/FONT]

8. Mother2Hens

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    How about Jungle Fowl eggs? craigslist evansville (I really don't have any affiliation with the seller! ha)
    Originally Posted by pginsber [​IMG]

Hi, Fellow Hoosiers! Thanks to TooFast for making me aware of this thread.
    I'm a first-time-chicken-mom and though I researched the bejezus out of everything before I started, it's all new to me.

We live in the city, and have a small coop area with totally fenced in chicken run. 8 pullets ranging from 12 weeks to 18 weeks, 7 of them planned and one surviving packing peanut. 3 Cream Legbars, a Dominique, a Golden Cuckoo Maran, a Delaware, Bantam Black Orpington (the packing peanut), and what's supposed to be a Gold Laced Wyandotte, but is not. Who knows what she is, but she's very big.

Aretha, our oldest Crem Legbar, laid our first egg on Sunday and as of this morning (Wednesday) we had not yet got another from her. If she doesn't get busy soon, I'll be forced to have cereal for breakfast on Saturday, instead of eggs!
    [​IMG]

I love this photo. : - ) Welcome to the Indiana Thread! Too Fast wins a recruiting prize~ someone's unwanted roo. (Our standard prize package on this thread).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  9. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Irs a hard choice to make, every one of my wyandotte cockerels are aggressive in varied degrees. Some will even bite at me during feeding time. Red & merlin are probably the calmest out all of them, but Merlin is still playing the polite role with me. Take your time choosing, there's really no deadlines! (hint: the longer you wait, less likely the kids will want him back [​IMG])

10. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Hi There. Welcome to the Indiana BYC thread. You have some beautiful birds. Where did you get your Cream Legbars? I have been working on building up a flock of them, and yours look like particularly good examples with nice crests. And congrats on the first egg. If I read right, you got a CCL egg at 18 weeks? That's about 6-10 weeks earlier than I had heard, which is awesome! My girls are about 6 weeks old now. That gives me hope I may see a pretty blue egg before winter.
    If you want, post up a picture of your supposed GLW. Maybe someone on here can help you figure out what she is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by