INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    You are definitely a lot closer than Brad is. Although He and I will have to meet up eventually, as we are discussing a CCL roo exchange. If you have a chick or two to spare, that would be awesome. I have heard though, that visiting your place can be dangerous, as you have such nice birds that everyone comes down with a severe case of 'I Want!'.

I'll send you a pm tonight after I get home from work and we'll see if we can work something out.

2. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Jchnny - I had contemplated buying some eggs to hatch out, only thing that puts me off is how late it is in the year. I do appreciate the offer for the use of the bator, however if I was not so lazy I would already have built me own by now. Glad I didn't in hindsight, I would have a squillion (yes it is a real number) of chickens and other various birds.

Shawna - DH refers to things being 'salty' often so I think that's where I got it from. I also hope you find all your little ones.

Mother - I do enjoy the good 'ol slang. Makes more many confusing conversations. I don't notice I am using it half the time which means most conversations leaves the other baffled. How is the little Miss Violet doing?

Browncow - If you only clip one wing they will not be flying in a straight line.

Soft eggs... I think all my chickens have laid soft eggs at the beginning, witnessing one of those recently of my EE. As long as it is not happening often everything should be ok. I do not give oyster shell to my girls and they are all good. One and only time of doing so I ended up with warty eggs. Ok to eat but visually hard to sell.

The brown eggs my girls lay have speckles from time to time. Even though they should be laying plain brown eggs I still get speckles often and they can be scrubbed off too.

[​IMG]Finally got eggs from Momma (barred cochin), they are sooo tiny! She has laid two so far, one cream and one pink speckled with white. I am dead excited about that, guess it is the time of year for everyone to start enjoying eggs. Going to pop them open later to see if they were fertile. With the silkie being the only male around now, if they are fertile he is doing his job.

3. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I do have a lot, it is because I have the WANTS!!!!

4. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have been lurking around watching all the wonderful comment about Little Ameraucana Mom and her awesome chickens.... You need to stop tempting me...You and Brad will be my demise. As long as you and Brad do not post any pictures I think I can behave

5. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    There is no behaving when it comes to chickens. It is a diese !!!! We always want MORE !!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    There were eggs on eBay for frizzled lemon cuckoo bantam cochins and thought of you! I meant to post a link but it ended before I remembered. I have the seller saved and if your interested will send it to you if he posted them again. I hatched tolbunt from him and was very happy with the eggs and hatch rate.

7. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I did see an ton of possible cuties on eBay. Hoping next year I can go nuts and get some. A few frizzles would be a nice addition too. Would love to focus purely on bantam Cochins next year. With their fluffy bell bottoms and fluffy butts I am sure in can convince everyone to have some.

8. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Got my first egg from the new birds this year. White Plymouth Rock pullet covered by a Birchen Marans, legbar, or ameraucana (I don't think he's been gone more than 2 weeks). I've seen her being raped...umm...bred by the roosters. Do I crack it open to see if fertile and eat? Or do I set it in the incubator? Decisions, decisions.

9. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Pginsber- welcome. Great pic....we love pics!!!

10. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Didn't think to quote, but in response to rooster troubles. Adding another rooster might distract the boys from the ladies, but it might also make for two times the aggression toward those poor hens. I totally understand not being able to build a bachelor for him, that was just the best fix I could think of for the issue. If nothing else, you could set him loose to free-range while the girls are in the run still. It would at least give them a break from him for a little bit. :) That's all I can think of to do until he calms down as he matures.

Ooooh, I do love my bantam Cochin boy. Bet the hens are darling, too! :love Luckily, you're too far of a drive for me. Brad was not, and that's why I have a Silkie now. :lol:

[​IMG]

You people and your Cream Legbars, though! :barnie So tempting! I've always loved those! Why do coops have to cost so much to build? :lol:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by