INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I did see an ton of possible cuties on eBay. Hoping next year I can go nuts and get some. A few frizzles would be a nice addition too. Would love to focus purely on bantam Cochins next year. With their fluffy bell bottoms and fluffy butts I am sure in can convince everyone to have some.

Glad you are so excited about new babies! Would like to caution you about buying eggs from ebay though. I would advise trolling the Cochin forums and talking to people there instead.

Hi, Fellow Hoosiers! Thanks to TooFast for making me aware of this thread.
I'm a first-time-chicken-mom and though I researched the bejezus out of everything before I started, it's all new to me.

We live in the city, and have a small coop area with totally fenced in chicken run. 8 pullets ranging from 12 weeks to 18 weeks, 7 of them planned and one surviving packing peanut. 3 Cream Legbars, a Dominique, a Golden Cuckoo Maran, a Delaware, Bantam Black Orpington (the packing peanut), and what's supposed to be a Gold Laced Wyandotte, but is not. Who knows what she is, but she's very big.

Aretha, our oldest Crem Legbar, laid our first egg on Sunday and as of this morning (Wednesday) we had not yet got another from her. If she doesn't get busy soon, I'll be forced to have cereal for breakfast on Saturday, instead of eggs!
frow.gif
Hello and welcome. Very fast moving thread here, so be ready for that. Great looking flock in this picture.
How about Jungle Fowl eggs? craigslist evansville (I really don't have any affiliation with the seller! ha)
Originally Posted by pginsber

Hi, Fellow Hoosiers! Thanks to TooFast for making me aware of this thread.
I'm a first-time-chicken-mom and though I researched the bejezus out of everything before I started, it's all new to me.

We live in the city, and have a small coop area with totally fenced in chicken run. 8 pullets ranging from 12 weeks to 18 weeks, 7 of them planned and one surviving packing peanut. 3 Cream Legbars, a Dominique, a Golden Cuckoo Maran, a Delaware, Bantam Black Orpington (the packing peanut), and what's supposed to be a Gold Laced Wyandotte, but is not. Who knows what she is, but she's very big.

Aretha, our oldest Crem Legbar, laid our first egg on Sunday and as of this morning (Wednesday) we had not yet got another from her. If she doesn't get busy soon, I'll be forced to have cereal for breakfast on Saturday, instead of eggs!

I love this photo. : - ) Welcome to the Indiana Thread! Too Fast wins a recruiting prize~ someone's unwanted roo. (Our standard prize package on this thread).
rant.gif
No no no. No roosters needed around here!
Irs a hard choice to make, every one of my wyandotte cockerels are aggressive in varied degrees. Some will even bite at me during feeding time. Red & merlin are probably the calmest out all of them, but Merlin is still playing the polite role with me. Take your time choosing, there's really no deadlines! (hint: the longer you wait, less likely the kids will want him back
wink.png
)
My DW is getting used to the idea of no rooster, and it sure is quiet around here. I'd take him back in an instant if he'd always be nice, crow only 5x/day and look out for his ladies nicely. Maybe we can come over for a visit/visits?

it must have won a blue ribbon somewhere. I have heard that a full grown heritage show bird can cost upwards of that, so maybe it is a fair price but not if it is $30 more than every one else is asking.
let them stand out in the rain for 15 minutes :) no the bath recommendations were good.
Maybe get more girls. But if he has enough girls then only time will help how he treats the hens or a meaner rooster maybe. As for people we used a hose on our roosters and it worked.
What happened to grabbing an extra cleaned chicken and not telling the family any different :) Children can be persistint. I should know, mine talked me into getting a replacement rooster for our owl eaten one. And I will never think of owls or hawks as friendly fuzzy flying creatures ever again. Up close they look really really mean. Their eyes are something else.
I need to check. Our Buster rooster broke his isolation last night. He just flew over my DH right out the garage door and marched over to the girls. He then started walking around the pen and crowing like he was king. DH let him into the pen and he has mated. I just have not used any of today's eggs to know yet.
I ran out of time to get the extra chicken. Had to get back before they closed all the roads down around my house after the Brickyard 400.

And about the raptors, yeah when they look directly at you, it's like they are sizing you up as a meal.

Lazy day on the farm. It so much as sprinkles and these girls are perched. ;) One of these lovelies is guilty of laying an egg today.
wink.png
Sorry I got bored.
yippiechickie.gif

This is the death from above stare. I don't think they like their bottoms photographed.
somad.gif

I'm biased she's my favorite.

Not to beat a dead horse, but someone please concur that she is brown! Lol I have a chocolate Australorp. I don't care what anyone says
tongue.png

My best girl again. Miss Lavender

And of course my Gus, he's a good boy, most of the time.

Lazy day on the farm. It so much as sprinkles and these girls are perched. ;) One of these lovelies is guilty of laying an egg today.
wink.png
Sorry I got bored.
yippiechickie.gif
This is the death from above stare. I don't think they like their bottoms photographed.
somad.gif
I'm biased she's my favorite. Not to beat a dead horse, but someone please concur that she is brown! Lol I have a chocolate Australorp. I don't care what anyone says
tongue.png
My best girl again. Miss Lavender And of course my Gus, he's a good boy, most of the time.
She is definitely brown and very pretty.

wink.png
Sorry I got bored.
yippiechickie.gif
somad.gif
I'm biased she's my favorite. Not to beat a dead horse, but someone please concur that she is brown! Lol I have a chocolate Australorp. I don't care what anyone says
tongue.png
My best girl again. Miss Lavender And of course my Gus, he's a good boy, most of the time.
Very pretty! I love brown/chocolate colored chickens.

Back
Top Bottom