INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Brad, I have read about the pecking order thing but haven't seen it to this extreme. Of course, this is the first time I have added birds to an existing flock. The first six were raised together, four sex-links and two newly discovered white rocks. The existing flock will pick on each other and sometimes I saw some bullying but they are particularly brutal to the new EEs. The EEs have to roost on different perches and cannot go to the ground without getting pecked and bitten until they retreat to a perch or the upper level. Sometimes it seems that one of the sex-links will go to a perch just to pick on them but the EEs seem to have a better advantage there. They are not able to gang up on one there. I think that's why the EEs are always on a perch. Do you think this will pass? I have read that it takes a couple of weeks for a new bird to be accepted but it is hard to watch.

2. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    This week was the first time in over a month that my second batch of chickens I put out in the coop actually went outside. They always hung around the coop. When the older chickens went outside, they all came down from the perches to eat and hang out on the floor. As soon as the older chickens came in, up they went onto the perches. I think it helped taking the next batch of younger chicks and putting them in the coop as well. These guess are more courageous than the pervious group and went out after a couple days of hiding in a lay box. It does get better with time, but you will still catch the older birds reminding the younger who's on top of the pecking order. Heck, I even have my original naked neck hens bossing the roosters around who are quite a bit bigger than them. If the roosters start harassing a hen trying to breed her (and she doesn't want them to mount them), the naked necks go running up and chase the Roos away. So yes, it does get better from my experience, but agree with you. It's not very fun to watch them doing it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Re: Violet~ Thank you to everyone for your support and kind offers of pullet possibilities. I really appreciate it. I am taking it day by day and hoping Violet will improve. I mentioned last night that after I find a young pullet to be Adeline's new buddy, I will keep Violet with me as much as possible. The reason is that I had found this advice online while researching taking care of an injured chicken. (Excerpt & Photo from article:) Keep the carrier ("Hospital Kennel") indoors and near you. This allows you to monitor progress and keeps them company. Birds housed alone become quickly depressed. The carrier is easily carried from room to room. The entire article can be found online at: http://www.brittonclouse.com/chickenrunrescue/CARING FOR A SICK OR INJ 9_08.pdf
    I'm sure the experienced chicken owners know about that, but newer ones may not.

[​IMG]

As far as finding an approx. three month old lavender orp pullet, I've just begun searching although I know this isn't exactly chick season. vickichicki was so kind as to offer me her special lavender that originated at bradselig's, but I couldn't break up her pair or take vickichicki's baby away. I'll just have to see what I can find and I am also thankful for any leads anyone might have.
    I enjoyed looking at all of the healthy looking gorgeous chickens posted by Thunder Chicken, kaphyper, Kiniska -- and irtehun's zigzaggy rooster, Charlie.

Good to hear from toodlesmom again~ It is difficult to decide on breeds when there are so many! You'll just have to be like bradselig and have several of each!
    Darn! Since I'm also a crazy cat lady, I should have removed the parts of the predator chart that blame cats! I don't want to know how this ends. Hopefully, animal control gets the cat and you get a better fence. : - )
    Speaking of cats, my youngest daughter always wanted a Ragdoll cat, but we've always adopted "alley cats." She recently found one through a Ragdoll Rescue, so we drove to Owensboro, KY last week to pick him up. He's three years old and is a big lovey boy. Lauren is taking him to IU to be her housecat. Her roommate who lives in Fishers just adopted a three year old large long-haired tortoiseshell, so those girls will (hopefully) be vacuuming a lot.

[​IMG]

4. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    M2H- wishing the best for Violet. I currently have a speckled Sussex hen that is limping. When she walks its almost like she is unsure of her footing and lifts it really high. I've had her confined to a cage in the coop but haven't noticed any progress. I need to do a search, but I had a limping duck last year and read it was safe to give aspirin. It seemed to help her, might try it for the chicken if its safe. Ill have to call the vet tomorrow and see if they have any recommendations.

Beautiful cat! I'm happy with only one cat, but eventually I'd like to get an Abyssinian or Cornish Rex. I never realized how many different cat breeds there are! When I worked at the vets office, we saw a few rag dolls. They always seemed very well tempered and sociable.

Also since M2H seems to be encouraging me to get more breeds ;), anyone have any connections for modern game bantams? I'm more interested n the Birchen and red brown colors, but open to any.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  5. irtehun

irtehun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Albion IN
    Just realized today, I have a chicken problem. Going to pick up 9 more hens on Monday. 5 jersey giants, 3 more white leghorns, and a RiR cross breed.

1 person likes this.
  6. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    It's been awhile since I was self-diagnosed with a chicken problem lol. Congrats on the new chickens. Be sure to post pics when you get them.

7. irtehun

Jun 19, 2013
    Albion IN

Will do. Still loving those BLRW I got from you. Let me know if/when you have any other breeds to get rid of, Til I can get or finish my incubator and hatch my own.

8. irtehun

Jun 19, 2013
    Albion IN
    Also brad not sure if it was your post on cl but there's a guy with showgirls by Fort Wayne. He had an ad on cl

9. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Yup that's my ad. I've already contacted them and they sent older pics. They are going to send new ones tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up though! I will definitely let you know. I just put some eggs from my birds in the incubator to check fertility, so I may have some mixed breeds available in a few weeks. They are naked necks covered by a Marans and legbar Roos or Plymouth rocks covered by same roos.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I have a chicken problem too, but I realized it a long time ago and have accepted it lol. A little while ago in one week I Bought 11 chickens. Not that I need anymore, but keep my eye out for them anyways. I show and have a lot of different breeds just for that and then ones that I have for breeding, they are all pets too. Right now I only have 39 :(, but am slowley building my flock back up, but I dont think I will ever be done building it lol. I know I have already said this a million times, but I cant wait for lebanon. I am bringing extra cages, and have a feeling my cages will be full. Congrats on your soon to be new chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by