INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Well.... hmph..Y'know I never even second guessed it.. Saw the chicks turning white, immediately said Leghorns and that's what they have been. If I had known that I would have fattened them up and took them to the poultry fest (which I wanted to do ever since it was announced it was happening) but DH said no, we keep the Leghorns to add to the laying flock.

On the positive side, they were given to me so I had no expectations and the girl did not remember what she had gotten. Guess it could have been worse... They could have all been roosters :D

2. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I didn't want to go back and find he posts, but I have actually had people from a reptile forum send me poop in the mail to check. I was blue to put my camera up t the eye piece and get pics of the parasite eggs for them. Lets just say, my mailman had to HATE driving around all morning with those packages in he car!

3. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    After the colour I noticed how small the egg was.. Compared it to my bantam cochin and it was a hair bigger, got another 'spare' egg today, just a little bit bigger

[​IMG]
    1, Spare egg (first day)
    2, Bantam cochin
    3, Spare egg (todays)
    4, EE
    5 RIR

I guess we have been spoiled by the girls huge eggs.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    lol. I love the cold, snow, and blizzards. With the indiana weather you never know......[​IMG]

yes, it is good thing it didnt flood, I just dont understand why it didnt. I have had many gas stations not so happy when I walk in, in dirty barn jeans and mud boots! They have a mop!

5. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Hey, I was wondering, are you saying the red sex link hens are bullies or a roo? I'm just asking because my favorite bird is a red sex-link and she's so sweet. The little Appenzellers are adorable!!! I can't wait till they are old enough to lay but they are so much fun to watch right now. LOVE them.

6. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have four red sex links. They are all pullets. It seems like one or two of them always start picking on the new EE girls. One of them will get get on top of an EE every time she gets on the ground and bite and peck her. The EE will run around the the run and the rest will join in and peck at her. It looks brutal to me. I have seen the others peck at them too but not nearly like the sex-links. I really feel sorry for the EEs now. I'm starting to wish I didn't get them.

7. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I didn't think otherwise until today. I thought, white chickens, white eggs. Must be leghorns cuz they looked like a regular white hen and nobody said otherwise. I read where some said red ear lobes meant they would lay brown eggs. Then others said that this is not always the case, depends on the breed. Finally found that Leghorns always have white ear lobes and then found that the white rocks have red ear lobes and lay brown eggs. Now that I look at them in the breed forum, they look like mine. I just didn't know what to look for. Never realized that ear lobe color meant anything.

8. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN

Wow, that is unfortunate! Mine is at the bottom of the pecking order here but doesn't really get harassed. Our EEs are much larger than she is. Im really enjoying them all and I hope they start playing nice for you. If not, I'm sure many of us would be willing to rehome them for you. Their eggs sure are pretty.

9. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    My sex linked where like this as well, however, they were my first. So they were at top of the pecking order and wanted to stay there. They were not very welcoming to new comers. Since they learned to cross the road from the guineas, I gave them to a coworker as I didn't want this years chickens to learn to cross the road as well. It worked, but my oldest chickens still do this to the younger birds. So from my experience it is not necessarily the breed, but rather the current pecking order.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Does anybody have any rose comb brown leghorn hatching eggs for sale? All have been able to find are chicks from hatcheries and I dont want hatchery stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by