INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Hey John, maybe we could start something here in IN with that poop. Make a fortune from genuine, free-ranging chicken poop facials.

1 person likes this.
  2. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    The really great thing is that we could enlist the aid of the other IN BYC'ers for donations of "ingredients" and offer full-body immersion treatment. Imagine the fragrance! At $180 for a facial, we could charge thousands for full-body. I hope this doesn't turn out to be just one more cr*ppy idea. [insert several more icky puns here].

John

1 person likes this.
  3. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    See now you have me questioning whether I have leghorns or rocks... Might explain the mystery light colored egg (the lightest the RIR's lay) was laid the other day. I was convinced it was from one of my EE's as all the 'leghorns' will lay white. Now I am going to have to have a closer look at ears when I go home this evening. As the birds were from a friend I assumed leghorns... We shall see

4. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    IN-Fecal Facials? [​IMG]

5. Thunder Chicken

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hmm... maybe. Here are some pictures of mine. It is hard to get a side-shot because they always walk up to me and face me. I held the camera off to the side where I couldn't frame it well but it shows the red lobes. When I first joined BYC I asked what breed they are in the "What breed is this" thread and all said the white ones are leghorns. They were younger then and it wasn't clear that they had the red lobes in the pictures I provided. I am still pretty sure the brown ones are Red Sex-Links.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are my new EEs. They are only safe from being attacked by the rest of the gang if they stay high.

[​IMG]

6. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    It's hard to tell for sure on the other two, but the red hen at the back of this picture is a red sexlink. If the other two have white tail feathers, flight feathers, and down, then they are sexlinks as well. And yes, by their build and the size of their combs, your white hens are white Plymouth Rocks. Leghorns are typically more upright and skinny, with very large combs. Here's a white Leghorn hen for comparison: [​IMG] See how her comb is so large that it folds over?

7. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Funnily enough I just found your post in the 'what breed' forum, I do lurk there from time to time... I then noticed you got yours from TSC in greenwood... The girl who gave me the chicks lives in greenwood so I guess she got them there too... Hmmm....

8. Thunder Chicken

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I can definitely see the difference now. The tail feathers stand up on the Leghorn a lot more too.
    If you compare mine and readytogo's in the pic's, you might be able to tell without going home. They are very different tail feathers.

9. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    I have some Appenzeller chicks that will lay nice white eggs and am not too far from you if you're interested. They're too young to sell (and sex!) now, but will be ready in 3-4 weeks. Also there will be sale coops at the state fair poultry show and at the shows in Spencer Aug 31, Bloomington Sep 21, and Lebanon in October; Milton KY swap Labor Day weekend. You can usually be more sure of what you're getting at the shows; have to be a bit more careful at the swaps.
    No white eggs, but I loved my white rocks; only have one hen left now but plan for more in the future.

10. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay so I got some pics today of our three new girls the rir's and the suspected Minorca and my huge Blueberry. They aren't great quality because they are in our barn. BB"S feathers are a bit ruffled but I love how his color turned out. I haven't had him for 2 months and boy does it make a difference! Also I may be the rooster whisperer, not tooting my own horn, but between my hubby and I, Gus has stopped "dancing" at us completely!!! He gets picked up every evening and cuddled and he hates every second of it, but he takes it like a champ. Sits perfectly still. Crows like a pee'd off baby when we put him down, but he doesn't challenge us anymore. We knock him off hens if he tries to mate in front of us and separate the sparring if it should occur. He tried to get my father in law tonight and we told him what to do to Gus to show him who's boss, and Gus left him alone immediately. Anyone who comes into the chicken area has to hold Gus. It is working like a charm so far!!. Anyway I just had to tell you all that. Here are the new kiddos ;

[​IMG] Blueberry 4 1/2 months

[​IMG] The girls

[​IMG] BB and Lavender three weeks

[​IMG] Miss Lavender now. I hope they make a good breeding pair. I would love some splash!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by