INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I have a single OEGB hen. She's sweet and a great free ranging chicken. However she started nesting under the coop and became broody. When she would come out to eat and drink, the chickens started to harass her quite a bit and the Roos 15x her size trying to mount her. I was worried for Her and now she's penned up living with the silkies. She's not very happy about it. Some modern eggs were just posted on eBay, ill try to get them.

2. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    [​IMG]

The egg song is getting old hand around here lol. Here is so often we don't even run every time anymore. Here's a couple pictures from this morning. The girls really like the tall grass in the foreground, and the bushy area in the background. Finally killed all the wild grape vines in that area. One of our sunflowers is almost 10 feet tall.

[​IMG]

3. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Woohoo!!! Congrats! I bet that is a great feeling to hatch your first chick. Nice job.[​IMG]

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I feel a little better now.

4. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Great looking coop and surrounding area, Too Fast! I think I'll be planting some sunflowers around the coop and pen next year.

5. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    WalMart has the sharpeners. I think is was around $5.

1 person likes this.
  6. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Two words. "Carrying water" "Frozen Hose" "Frozen Nose". On the plus side, I like driving in snow.
    John

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  7. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I have a red-tailed hawk working my chicken yard.

I have been noticing that several times over the last few days, all the chickens, ducks, guineas go into the coop during the day for no discernible reason. I have gone out and looked around for the cause and found none. I noticed it just minutes ago and looked out and sure enough, there he was circling above.

From comments I've read, guineas are good at detecting threats from above. Apparently the other poultry follow their lead.

Anyone with hawk problems, get some guineas. I haven't lost any birds yet.

John

1 person likes this.
  8. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    John- Last year I had a Cooper's hawk trying and successfully taking my chickens. Towards the end, it was even trying attack when I was out there with the chickens! I ended up setting my shotgun next to the door and when the chickens sounded the alarm call, I would out to check. I eventually shot the gun towards the ground (didn't want to risk killing due to laws) but that seemed to scare it away ad hasn't been back. Well up until this week, my oldest legbar roo became missing with just a few feathers left behind. Gun is already out of safe ready to go.

9. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Thanks, I'll try that. My mother told me a similar story about missing some chickens, then standing in the chicken yard and a hawk landing on a chicken within 6 feet of her.

John

10. irtehun

irtehun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Albion IN
    Had to share a pic if my silkie babies! So cute!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by