INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

John- Last year I had a Cooper's hawk trying and successfully taking my chickens. Towards the end, it was even trying attack when I was out there with the chickens! I ended up setting my shotgun next to the door and when the chickens sounded the alarm call, I would out to check. I eventually shot the gun towards the ground (didn't want to risk killing due to laws) but that seemed to scare it away ad hasn't been back. Well up until this week, my oldest legbar roo became missing with just a few feathers left behind. Gun is already out of safe ready to go.
I don't think that's allowed in the city... wait a minute... didn't our vice president recommend shooting a shotgun into the air to scare away intruders? I think the hawk qualifies, right? Hmm... I saw a hawk circling last week. I have bird shot and buck shot. Which do you recommend?
hide.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Early this spring everyone on here was having hawk problems. I think it was mentioned to hang flags. High as possible. Maybe someone who did that will chime in!!

I don't think that's allowed in the city... wait a minute... didn't our vice president recommend shooting a shotgun into the air to scare away intruders? I think the hawk qualifies, right? Hmm... I saw a hawk circling last week. I have bird shot and buck shot. Which do you recommend?
hide.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist.
For in city, take out the #2 steel shot and shoot just the wad. Makes a big noise with little other effect, kinda like our vice president.

I read that someone has already been arrested for following the vice blowhard's advice. Check with the cops before actually doing it.

John

Great looking coop and surrounding area, Too Fast! I think I'll be planting some sunflowers around the coop and pen next year.
Thanks. I wanted some 10 foot tall sunflowers all around the run area. Then saw some nice heritage sunflowers, not as tall. Then the plants started growing. Then the chickens found those plants. Now we only have a few plants that made it to adulthood. The chickens *may* get seeds if they start playing nice. However, that one giant sunflower looks as if it could support some roosting chickens!

Early this spring everyone on here was having hawk problems. I think it was mentioned to hang flags. High as possible. Maybe someone who did that will chime in!!
We've seen the hawks all around here.

Nothing has dared to touch our chicks, tho, between me and the DW nobody dares to come that close.

For in city, take out the #2 steel shot and shoot just the wad. Makes a big noise with little other effect, kinda like our vice president.

I read that someone has already been arrested for following the vice blowhard's advice. Check with the cops before actually doing it.

John
Thanks. I wanted some 10 foot tall sunflowers all around the run area. Then saw some nice heritage sunflowers, not as tall. Then the plants started growing. Then the chickens found those plants. Now we only have a few plants that made it to adulthood. The chickens *may* get seeds if they start playing nice. However, that one giant sunflower looks as if it could support some roosting chickens!
Hmm... I like that idea. I grew up in the sunflower state.

You really have a nice coop. Mine is converted from my son's old playset that I built in 98. Took out the slide and swings, built a run and enclosed it with fence. It is still a work in progress. Still need to enclose the tower with more than fence for winter.

So I have been window shopping for bantam cochins. There is a BYC member selling hatching eggs on eBay with some absolute cuties.

I am trying so hard to be done for the year. Should be getting a little roo from pbirdhaven soon
wee.gif

When he gets here hopefully I can put on a little soft music and light some candles for the ladies and let him do his magic
love.gif

Then I can stop window shopping.. Somebody take my Paypal account away!!!

So I have been window shopping for bantam cochins. There is a BYC member selling hatching eggs on eBay with some absolute cuties.

I am trying so hard to be done for the year. Should be getting a little roo from pbirdhaven soon
wee.gif

When he gets here hopefully I can put on a little soft music and light some candles for the ladies and let him do his magic
love.gif

Then I can stop window shopping.. Somebody take my Paypal account away!!!
Send all the money in your PP account to me, then I can feed my addiction !!! LOL !!

Now that poultry fest is out of the way. (At least for this year.
cool.png
) I'm getting ready to start on my next project, but found out I have a potential problem.

I was processing one of the extra roos, and he had mites pretty bad. I don't handle my birds a lot, so haven't noticed a problem before. I realize I don't know how to tell the difference between a chicken who is itching, and one who is just working on oiling up their feathers. So far I've checked 3 other roos and my broody pullet. One other roo had mites, the other two and the pullet didn't. So I think I may be early in the infestation.

So I started to do research and basically found that Everything kills mites and Nothing kills mites. Every product had it's cheerleaders and critics. So I'm turning to the group I trust. Who's had 'em and what worked for you? I'd especially like to hear from people here in Indiana, since I want to use whatever has seemed to work well locally. I've read back through this thread to find what I can, but I'm sure I missed things.

The project I'm starting is to work on breeding pens for next spring. I'm pouring over designs for coops and runs on here, and have seen some great ideas, but wanted to hear how others on here are liking their setups. These will be permanent structures. The laying flock ( and any breeders 'on a break') will use the mobile coop/pen setup. What I'd really like to hear is some 'Definitely do this... because it works so well for me'. and 'Definitely don't do this.....because I have found it is a pain in the butt' ideas. I"m aiming at the usual suspects. Strong security, good environment for the occupants, and ease of care for their owner/slave..

Back
Top Bottom