INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Well, I'm expanding my quail species now! Just ordered some Texas blue scale quail eggs.

1 person likes this.
  2. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Sounds like a plan! With my work schedule getting them out maybe tricky with the hours my post office is open. I can get them out tomorrow morning for sure, but probably wouldn't have more than a dozen. I could do Saturday morning shipping and then the next time I could ship would be Wednesday. That would make the oldest eggs 6 days old. Just let me know what would work best for you. Feel free to PM me as well.

As for feed, I am currently feeding a 22% game bird feed from Orschelns that comes in a 40# bag. I think TSC also has a chick starter that is 24% in a 50# bag.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  3. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana

I haven't raised a dairy steer for meat yet but I'm considering it. Do you have any smaller dairys in your area? They may be more willing to sell you a calf or two. If you were near Lafayette I'd suggest checking with Purdue's dairy. I know they always sold just a few at a time when I worked there.

The other thing you have to consider with price when buying a day old dairy calf versus a beef breed calf is how much extra it's going to cost (feed, vaccines, possibly vet bills) you to get that dairy calf to where the beef calf would be when you purchase it.
    Sorry, I could go on forever about cows. Feel free to pm me if you want otherwise I won't bore everyone on a chicken thread ;)

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I found some OEGBs! I am getting 5 tomorrow. Silver duckwing, so excited. I saw some on ebay but these are just in north manchester. I was going to get a trio for $30 and they said well would you want 5 for $40. I said yes, of course lol. 1 cockerel and 4 pullets and I just bought these 5 hold cage so they can stay in them temproarily (spelling ?). I might hatch some eggs from them, If I do I will let you guys know because I know a few people on here would be interested.

5. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Congrats! Be sure to post pictures of them when you get them, too, so that I can drool over them! :lol: I love silver duckwing anything! :drool

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Okay I will! The person sent me a picture and I drooled over them! So pretty, I want silver duckwing and brown breasted red I think Its called, all the varieties are pretty I just like these two the most. In the pic the pullets are up by the fence and the rooster is in the background with his neck feathers flared up lol.

7. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    No problem. Just wasnt sure lol. And Me too! I wish I had 3 incubators I am buying a second this winter!

9. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

We found this giant beast of an egg today. guessing Australorp. Any idea what the stuff on it is? I can scrape it off with my nail. [​IMG][/IMG]

10. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dumb phone didnt upload the other pic.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by