INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Racin, if anybody else decides they would want to go in on the feed idea, let me know! i might like to get in on that. Was reading about GMOs in a magazine article this past weekend until my 3 yr old daughter stealthily hid the magazine away from me.
I'm in, too, about getting a custom feed...we only have 8 birds, and I just picked up a bag of feed from TSC, but they are eating machines. I'm near Northwest side of Indy, but am always looking for an excuse to strike out of 465 boundaries.

I'm in, too, about getting a custom feed...we only have 8 birds, and I just picked up a bag of feed from TSC, but they are eating machines. I'm near Northwest side of Indy, but am always looking for an excuse to strike out of 465 boundaries.
It sounds like we have enough interest to at least justify some research. I am going to look into feed 'recipe's'. I know I've seen several posted on various threads here. If anyone has one handy that works for them, let me know. I'll also try to get an idea of how many feed mills there are in the area. The only one I've been to is on the east side off Brookville rd. If anyone knows of any others, please let me know that also. Once I have the info gathered, I can shop the various recipes to the various mills and see what we get for prices. That will dictate if we can proceed or not.

Ideally, we'd find something that was not only better than the commercial stuff, but cheaper, or at least competitive in price.

Here is this morning's work. Looks like we're going to have rain, so we had to stop for now. There was talk of taking the angles down and redoing them, so there may not have been any progress made. :rolleyes: Oh, well.

It sounds like we have enough interest to at least justify some research.  I am going to look into feed 'recipe's'.  I know I've seen several posted on various threads here.  If anyone has one handy that works for them, let me know.  I'll also try to get an idea of how many feed mills there are in the area.  The only one I've been to is on the east side off Brookville rd.  If anyone knows of any others, please let me know that also.  Once I have the info gathered, I can shop the various recipes to the various mills and see what we get for prices.  That will dictate if we can proceed or not. 

Ideally, we'd find something that was not only better than the commercial stuff, but cheaper, or at least competitive in price.

I may be interested too depending on what you find. I'm on the west side but travel the north and south side frequently and would be willing to do some transport if its not to far out of my way.

I just bought a bag of all flock feed from Rural King in Martinsville yesterday for $14.99 which is the cheapest I think I've paid so far.

Last edited:
Quote: All the breeds you mentioned are milk cows. You might want to think Angus or Hereford. Sort of the difference between Old English Game Bird vs. Orpington for meat.

John
The stores all sell Angus, so I know it makes good meant but you might end up paying for the name. I recommend going to a few local fairs next year ify ou can wait. then look at all of the different cows. Some are quite large, maybe just larger up close but there were a few at the JC fair that were clearly much larger than the other cows there too.

What kind of goats do you have? I'm doing research into goats. I know I won't be getting any right away but I like hearing about the different breeds.

For Khaki ducks, at what age should I be able to tell if I have any male ducks?

John,
These breeds I am looking at are dairy, they are the calves born when they freshen the cows every year. Angus etc would be nice but its crazy expensive. The calves I am looking at go as low as $50 (day old bottle calves).
Sally,
I have Oberhasli, they are closely related to swiss alpine. Very sweet, gentle goats. (except for Bocephus the buck, ugh!) I don't want to keep a cow for milking, so goats are a very inexpensive alternative. Nubian are also a very sweet breed. You don't have to keep a buck, they are difficult to handle at times, and not safe for kids to be around. wethers are good as a companion without the "rut" and aggression problems.
I only have Pekin and Muscovy ducks, hopefully someone can answer on the Khaki.

After my niece mowed my lawn today she asked if she could dump the clippings in the chickens' enclosure. I told her yes, but I'm wondering now if there's any reason that I should have said no... Was I wrong?

Close enough spelling, We are about 5 miles away from 69. I would hate to set that few, If only 1 hatched it would really get lonely. If I have guinea hatching It would be ok with the guinea chicks. My A&M quail hatched with guinea and they did fine together.
I'm confused. Do I not need to ask anymore?

I have one female khaki Campbell. I know the girls are solid brown from birth. I don't have a boy but the babies i saw had markings and i know they grow to have darker feathers on the head like a mallard - similar markings but not neccessarily the colors. if you have a solid brown duck I'd say it's a female. Of course I just got my first duck this spring so I'm speaking with little experience ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom