INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    The more I read about roosters, the more I am glad we don't have any, anymore.  Yes they are good looking to have around, protect their ladies, but I don't want the noise, attacks, 24/7 mating.  Oh and did I mention the crowing at evening, morning, mid-morning, noon, early afternoon, afternoon, 2 AM, 3 AM, 4 AM and on!
    [/quote

roosters arent that bad. i have somebreally nice ones. Just when i put two together they dont get along, now if they gree up together that would be different. my brahma is the only mean rooster i have. he attacks when i mess with the hens or if i am too close. but hebis slowly figuring out that when he attacks me i push him with my foot or throw something near him and it just scares hom off. yesterday i was able to go in the coop catch one of the girls and he didnt do anything. i couldnt believe it. I hardly ever see my roos mating but the eggs are fertile. I love the crowing. i cant hear it from mu house though.

2. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana

These are my favorite too! Hence my screen name :) They're what I'm considering raising for beef for next year. I'm also planning on purchasing two breed angus heifers this fall!!

:( I'm sorry

LOL you've never tried cleaning a stall with one that doesn't want you in it! I won't have a bull on my property while I have young children, they're to unpredictable! Which is also why I haven't had cows here this summer; they returned to my friends house to get breed. I really need to learn how to AI!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  3. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    We also love the look of the brown swiss & jersey cows -- so pretty! I also think the dutch belted are fun looking -- they're the oreo cookie cow -- black with a white band around their midsection. My daughter says she would love to have a cow to milk and then also throws in that that means 2 cows since they do not thrive as a single animal. I suggested we start smaller & milk a goat instead. Of course, the first obstacle to acquiring any more animals at this point is fencing -- as in, we need to acquire more of it! That and the fact that all of our barn stalls that were built for livestock are currently filled with chickens and ducks [​IMG].

4. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    LOL you've never tried cleaning a stall with one that doesn't want you in it! I won't have a bull on my property while I have young children, they're to unpredictable! Which is also why I haven't had cows here this summer; they returned to my friends house to get breed. I really need to learn how to AI

Where I Indiana are you.?? There are quite a few people around here that AI. I think Purdue has a classon it,

5. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

sorry about the silkie hen loss A L .

6. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Our house has been crazy this week, so I just wanted to take a second and say Good Morning to you all. We had two kids start school and there's still one that doesn't start for two weeks and it went surprisingly well (except for the part where my son was mad at me in the cafeteria because he WANTS to ride the school bus). All chickens are well but its getting hard to find them in the yard and garden area. Our lawn tractor is getting repaired and this rain has made my grass (aka weeds) explode! Have a good weekend.

Animallover-I'm sorry about your Silkie
    Mother2Hens- Your inside coop is lovely!

7. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I WISH we could get some rain here in Indy! My coop ground is cracked, it's so dry. My tomatoes are cracking, too, but the chickens think THAT'S AWESOME!!

Aretha, my 19-week old Cream Legbar, has laid 8 eggs in 10 days. [​IMG]This morning, there was a soft shelled broken egg on the roost, and I gathered Aretha's 8th egg last night, so it would surprise me if it was hers. Also, Aretha has been religious about laying in the nest box. Maybe Ms. Jackson, my 17-week old Cream Legbar, is starting to get in the game. What do you think?

8. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana

I'm on the west side of Indy, I've been looking for something at Purdue but haven't been able to find anything :(

9. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Not a great picture, but at any rate, we have rafters! :D There's a lot of unplanned but welcome ventilation along the lower edge of the roof now. We're leaning toward roofing it with shingles to match the original coop now. (The original plan was corrugated metal with hardware cloth underneath for ventilation, but we have plenty of ventilation there now and I think I feel safer with a solid roof anyway.)

10. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    You know, I take this back. Those ducklings with the markings could have actually been mallards. I bought them at Rural King. The sign said 'Indian Runners'. I bought two. One turned out to be a female khaki campbell and the other a male pekin. ha

I thought the other babies in there with the markings on their heads were the male campbells but after googling a few pictures I am pretty sure I am wrong about that. Sorry!

As I said, speaking with very little duck experience. :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by