INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

2. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I have gotten 2 eggs like those but brown from my RIR over the span of months. it is my guess that is is something like a bleeding hemorrhoid issue. Completely a guess.

3. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I saw the exact issue on a fb group page today. The advice given was to check for a prolapsed vent and if that looks clear it's most likely not anything serious... Just a big egg for a lil pullet.

4. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I
    I know!!! Both of my ducks grew at lightening speed but I read the khaki Campbell isn't technically mature until 7 months. Mine is four months now. Shes looked full grown for awhile now. Once she starts laying eggs sounds like she wont stop. Meyer hatchery description said 300-340 a year. Isn't that amazing? Do any of them have darker heads? I don't know at what age that happens but the drakes do get that mallard dark head.

5. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  6. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    We had to end up ordering the minimum 15 ducklings when we ordered from Strombergs (got Ancona ducks). They included an extra so we have 16 all together. They're about 8 weeks old now & I'll second or third it by now that they grow incredibly fast! We're still trying to figure out what kind of coop to build for them -- they definitely need to live outside & not in a barn stall. They sure like it, though, playing outside in their swimming pool! I need to get some new pics posted of them since I haven't done any since they were babies.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    According to my "Chicken Health for Dummies" book . . . Blood-stained shell: Possible causes are Young Hen or Underweight Hen or Vent picking. Possible remedy-- provide complete layer diet. Possible remedies for vent picking explained on these pages.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    That's good to know. I have been looking at incubators but I'm not in a hurry. Thanks for that info.

Has anyone used pea gravel in their runs or poop trays? I am thinking about getting some tomorrow. Not much grass left and it seems like it would be easier to scoop the poop. :)

9. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I don't mean to stand you corrected, John, but I happened to run across this description of bloom while looking for info about egg shell disorders.

Tonight's lesson is: What is Egg Shell Quality and How to Preserve It

Dr. Ken W. Koelkebeck
    Department of Animal Sciences
    University of Illinois
    [Excerpt]
    There are many factors that affect the overall quality of the egg shell, but before discussing these factors, it is important to know what makes up the structure of the egg shell. The egg shell consists of about 94 to 97% calcium carbonate. The other three percent is organic matter and egg shell pigment. There are also as many as 8,000 microscopic pores in the shell itself. The outer coating of the shell itself consists of a mucous coating called the cuticle or bloom which is deposited on the shell just prior to lay. This protein like covering helps protect the interior contents of the egg from bacteria penetration through the shell. Egg shell quality is determined by the color, shape, and structure of the shell.

The rest of this article is very interesting: http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/poultry/multistate/koelkebeck1.htm

I remember a discussion on this thread about egg washing-- some used cold water, some warm, some didn't wash, etc. This article discusses all this -- and more! And you can read it not only once, but twice at no extra charge. Just send me a check for shipping/handling/finder's fee.

10. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Oooh! Maybe I should get that book. I just received the official backyardchickens cookbook but was a bit disappointed. It's a nice cookbook but I expected more egg recipes.

So.... anyone use peepers to stop pecking? I gotta google peepers now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by