INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Not too long ago, there was a discussion on this thread about what people use in their runs, etc., which resulted in many people reading this info (and converting) about using a combination of sand and pea gravel "construction sand" or coarse sand (play sand can cause respiratory issues). I believe CRSelvey bought a truck full from a quarry and we plan on doing that, too.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/chicken-coop-bedding-sand-litter.html

2. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    First look on Google for peepers. Too funny.

3. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    for egg recipes, make cookies, brownies, egg bread, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, omelets, egg white frosting for sugar cookies, waffle ice cream cones, homemade ice cream, breakfast egg and sausage casseroles with either bread or hashbrowns, breakfast sandwiches from the McDonald's menu, deviled or stuffed eggs, egg salad, egg and potato salad, mix an egg or two into ground beef and an onion some tasty burgers. Then there is the world of egg noodles and various pastas. Eggs make great thickeners for soups and such if added at the correct temp in the correct way. Some people pickle eggs, I have never tried them but many people like them. I have heard of beet pickled eggs too. Waffles, pancakes, cinnamon rolls, lots of doughs use eggs. Then there is the raw egg protein shake. muffins and cornbreads typically need eggs too.

4. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    The googley eyes cracked me up!

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I dont really like the jerseys. I do like the plain jane holestiens. I had a dairy goat I could of milked, but I just let her utter dry out. I just cleaned out the middle bay in my barn! It has had stuff in it for almost 4 years! lets just say I had been putting it off.

They are pretty.I have never raised any brown swiss. But I have friends that do.

6. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Me too, lol.

You should have made the cookbook. [​IMG] I can scramble eggs and put them on toast. I have made deviled eggs using Miracle Whip that have made people ask me for the recipe, lol. I just passed the dozen egg mark for my hens laying so I need to plan for more ways to use them. So far I have only found two in one day but all three of the boxes are being explored by 8 hens so I expect my girls to step up.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Disclaimer: I don't mean to seem like a M2H Know-It-All because believe me, I don't. I just like to problem-solve and research. It's kinda boring to try reading straight through a Chicken Health book, so I learn more by looking up specific problems that members ask about.
    Thunder Chicken posted: Oooh! Maybe I should get that book [Chicken Health for Dummies]. I just received the official backyardchickens cookbook but was a bit disappointed. It's a nice cookbook but I expected more egg recipes.

So.... anyone use peepers to stop pecking? I gotta google peepers now.

Haha I remember the first time I saw chickens wearing glasses on a TV program and I thought it was fake. I've seen antique ones on sale on eBay. Here's some I just found.
    Vtg. 1940s Chicken Poultry Red Eye Optic Glasses Sunglasses Modern Plastic Peepers
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Welcome back! Where've you been? You might see if Cliffs Notes on the Indiana Thread are available at your local bookstore.

Wow, I'd like to have that view-- and those windows. Is that an addition to your other coop? It looks like it attaches to another structure and I can't remember what the plan was.

8. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Correction: My mother called it "bloom", so I did too.

John

9. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    I am getting discourage!!! I have a great picture of my 4 newly hatched pekin ducklings and I can not upload the pictures. I don't even have the bar with the smiley's or anything. so disappointed :{

10. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    so three khaki Campbell girls? Woohoo better find more egg cartons :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by