INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Here are my chicks that hatched

My dog and them
    [​IMG]

More of them
    [​IMG]

Close(ish) up of them
    [​IMG]

Sorry for poor quality photos. Used my phone.

2. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    This doesn't answer your specific questions, but here is the info from the "Chicken Health for Dummies" book. Possible causes: Genetic trait, Poor hen nutrition, Exposure to pesticide. Severe malformations, such as crossed beak, can cause a chicken to be sickly because it can't eat well or preen effectively. Regular beak trimming and reshaping may make a life or death difference. Consult an avian veterinarian for advice and reshaping of a malformed beak.

Love you new chick pictures. What kind are they? Speaking of kind, your dog is amazing to act like a babysitter!

The Google Age

Posted by Old Salt
    Correction: My
    mother called it "bloom", so I did too.

John

Haha My 25 year old son often questions the accuracy of my statements that are based on information passed through generations. As a member of the tech/info age, his pet peeve is misinformation. Although there are many great things to be learned from past generations, I agree that there are many "old wives tales" that aren't accurate. And who came up with blaming "old wives??"

Pipd~ Nice diagram! I like illustrations. : - )
    Update on Violet, plans for Adeline's new life, etc.

Violet actually seems to like the warm epsom salts physical therapy for her legs. Not sure if it's helping yet, but she otherwise seems healthy.

I am getting Adeline's new roommate, a Chocolate Orpington on Monday afternoon. She will be younger and hopefully not a threat to Violet so I can keep Violet in the new "coop" at least part of the time (protected from the mean hens of course). I'll have to see how all of that pans out. Adeline will be able to free range with the new orp instead of being in a tractor with Violet during the day. Adeline will also be able to perch and act like a normal chicken instead of a nurse.

I finally bought the handmade cedar rabbit hutch from the craigslist guy who posted it almost two weeks ago, but said he had to sell the rabbits first (!) Normally I would have said to forget it, but I liked the craftsmanship for $100. The cedar was from a tree his uncle cut down. There was a small chicken coop posted on craigslist the other night, so I told the guy I was going to just buy it if he didn't have his rabbit hutch ready to sell the next day. It worked and I now own it. It's 4' x 4' x 2'. DH and I are going to sanitize it and make a few changes for chickens. It had little steps going up to the second floor for the rabbits, so we will change that to a ladder. We'll also put a perch in for Adeline the Jubilee. Also have to add hardware wire and a mini hardware wire enclosure/run. I plan to install it next to the big chicken coop. It will be under an eave of the garage and near our back deck door. In time, they should be able to move to the big coop and hopefully Violet will be able to stand up and walk someday. The small coop will be handy to have as a back-up.
    [​IMG]

3. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana

Thanks! They are blue ameraucanas and a blue wheaton ameraucana barred rock cross. She's a real nice dog. She doesn't mind the chickens, just comes up to them to sniff them. One time her and my rooster got into a stand off. He expected her to puff up and attack him but she just stood there. My rooster was soo confused after. Also if you are wondering she is a lab/husky mix

4. amwchickin

amwchickin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Dubois County, IN
    I really have to check in with this page more than once a week! There is so much to catch up on.

My turkeys are doing weird things, I have a couple of my chickens laying, and everyone is integrated and getting along great.

One of my Light Brahmas is just starting to lay and yesterday I noticed her standing still and squatting a little. Next thing I knew she pooped out a yolk. I just stood there kind of baffled (and so did she!) and watched her a little bit. She walked around a little and then I noticed something hanging from her rear. I thought maybe it could've been the shell, but I decided to pick her up and check it out.

I have seen my first ever vent prolapse. It is not pretty. I of course ran inside and got on BYC to see what to do. I ended up taking a clean, wet paper towel and cleaned off the area a little and pushed it back in. it happened again about 5 minutes later after some clear stuff came out (I'm guessing the 'white') and so I repeated my process.

When she went to roost for the night it was in. I have my brother watching her for the weekend as I'm at work.

"I'm not sticking a finger up a chicken's butt." was not what I wanted to hear several times from him!! I guess it's nothing to me since I work in healthcare and have actually had to deal with prolapse in humans...

I just really hope it's a new layer thing and the problem stops on its own. I really don't want to have to put her down and I cannot justify making a vet trip.

[​IMG] This is me, going chicken crazy. I had thoughts of not going into work, just to take care of a chicken!!

5. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    We've got the last two windows in! :D

[​IMG]

This side will be in the chicken yard. The gap beneath the window will become the pop door. It's a little short for my large fowl hens, but I think they'll figure out to duck down through it. :)

(It's not letting me upload the second picture, so I guess I'll make a second post.)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  6. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

This wall leads out of the chicken area (you can kind of see our driveway outside here). The wide gap in the studs is for the human door. :D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  7. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

amwchicken : I have thoughts of staying home from work to take of our chickens too (even if they arent sick - they are so entertaining to watch) - these thoughts only occur on the days of the week that end in a "y"
    L O L

1 person likes this.
  8. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I received my package from the Indiana Poultry Association for their Test Twelve program. I got a postage paid box, egg carton, bubble wrap, ice packs as well as a "Incredible Egg" spatula, a metal roster pin, and literature on Biosecurity and a pamphlet for easy egg recipes. I can't wait to send in some eggs to get tested, but also nervous!

9. Mother2Hens

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    After you mentioned that program, I printed the flyer out and I look at it everyday, but for some reason I haven't filled out the form and sent it in. I am going to mail it on Monday! Here's the link again: http://www.inpoultry.org/documents/T-12 Egg Testing Flyer-Web.pdf
    Leave it to me to take mine to the vet, but I don't have a healthcare background other than the years I worked in marketing at two hospitals. haha
    I can see why your brother would not be enthusiastic! Hope she is feeling better soon. At least the egg stuff came out, so that's a relief to you and to her.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mother2Hens

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    M2H's Personal Shopping Service~ I noticed two craigslist posts that area people might be interested in: A small coop that would be handy for quarantine, illnesses, injuries, etc. and spectacular looking Polish roos seeking mates.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I haven't posted a cartoon in a while . . .

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by