INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Way far behind on posts, we went camping this weekend. I have a signal on my Sprint laptop card tho [​IMG] So I can still be on here!!!! Soooo many posts!
    I hate to miss a day, there's always so many, and I don't want to miss a single thing, especially TooFast and OldSalt [​IMG].
    Pipd wanted to say the build is looking awesome. love all the windows!
    Brad good luck on the egg test, I plan to do it too.
    M2H that's very exciting, chocolate Orps are just beeeautiful!! Everyone still has Bantam so far but for a bantam, they are as big as a small LF, like a polish.
    I know I missed a bunch more, am going back thru the posts now. Super crazy last few days we are prolly redoing all the coops[​IMG]
    Think I am changing to go with a kennel style to separate breeds. We have a 2 car garage that's all storage. What a huge waste of space! Time to utilize that building [​IMG]

2. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

3. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    Wow, that is a bunch of ducklings. :)

4. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    I love the picture of your dog looking with interest at the new things walking around.

5. Too Fast

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Anybody go looking for moon beams/government brainwashing radiants last night or planning on it tonight? How about you John, maybe we could put our tinfoil hats on and look for them at your place, it's probably darker then the cemetary we went to last night. This time of year the government beams are visible, but they think we are dumb so they call them the Persied meteor shower.

I had the kids (8 and 11) on edge a bit at the cemetary, Natalie (11) got spooked when she spotted a deer walking around. Kyle kept talking about zombies. Unfortunately it was a bit overcast, we watched for about an hour, then quit at midnight. Tonight between 1 AM and dawn is supposed to be the best viewing, but there is this unfortunate thing called work that will interfere.

6. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My sister is in town for a couple of weeks so I have already missed a bunch if stuff but I am still reading.

Being so busy here lately I have only spent enough time collecting eggs and feeding birds. I have not had another rooster attack on me, however I have been very dubious about going in and been very visual on him. I think it may have been a one off.
    I have been collecting eggs and had a day I thought I had missed a day as one coop had several eggs in it. Last time I checked I had two confirmed laying. Pulled 5 from the boxes... Apparently some decided to lay for the first time on the same day, causing me to be confused about collecting eggs the day before.
    This has caused jubilation as I have three laying blue eggs and miffedness that another light pink/cream egg addition means confirmation on not having leghorns.

For those concerned about the rough eggs... I introduced oyster shell as it was recommended, I promptly stopped offering it as it gave 'warty' eggs. Since the removal of the shell I have not had a warty one since. If the eggs are fine I would not feed additional shell.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  7. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Congrats on the chicks. That is so cool. I think we are going to put up a privacy fence and I have considered getting a dog. Do they learn to leave the chickens alone if they grow from a pup and being around chickens their whole life?
    I am still getting the cream eggs too. Yesterday was my first 3 egg day. One in each box. Two cream and one brown. I don't feel so bad that they aren't leghorns any more. I still have variety in color. Sometimes the creamy ones are almost white. Can't wait for the EEs to start laying. The girl I bought them from called them olive eggers so I am guessing they will be green.

8. Too Fast

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    So, I was just looking out the window and saw this thing of beauty land on top of our coop. Either an immature coopers hawk or a sharp shinned hawk. The eyes are not red like an adult cooper, but are dark like an immature cooper. Looked more like a cooper to us. It walked all over the roof, then landed on the ground and walked around there. Finally we got too close and it flew away. I'm hoping it learned that it can't get into Fort Chicken. So glad I spared no effort to make our chicken coop/run secure. What a perfect, sunny day it is today!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  9. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Forgot to mention that I ordered some peepers on Ebay. 10 with the pliers for about $14. Seems like a good deal compared to others I saw online.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321182213224&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Yesterday I spent the whole day making a poop box and filling in the run with pea gravel. I literally lifted more than a ton. Twelve 50lb. bags(wet) of pea gravel onto the cart, again into the car, again out of the car into a wheelbarrow. Eight went straight to the coop from there. Four went to the back porch while I completed the poop box. Then 3 went into it. That is a lot of lifting for this old man.

10. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana

She was 4 when we got chickens. She never showed any interest in killing them, just wanted to sniff them. But I'm sure if you raised a puppy with chickens and taught it to leave them alone it would work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by