INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    You Posted pictures and I missed them !!! [​IMG] I just don' t get on here enough to keep up with you guys. I do have a little black Frizzled rooster for sale if anyone is interested $5.

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Here I will post it again. They are so cute! I just take really crappy pics lol

[​IMG]

they other one had a little more white. Their feathers are really starting to flip out.

3. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I saw the same coop on TSC's website. They are advertised for $150 new. The Craigslist ad says 4-6 capacity and TSC says 2-4 capacity. Just a heads up.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...heavy-duty-chick-n-hutch-2-4-chicken-capacity

4. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Thanks. We had one that had so much white it looked mottled, but as it got older it lost the white, My daughter was hoping it would keep the white , She now wants a mottled frizzled bantam ameraucana !!!! No pleasing this child !![​IMG]

5. EmSteele

EmSteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Can I feed raw fish parts to my girls and guys? Going fishing and was just wondering if my chickens can benefit from anything besides my leftover worms! They are LOVING the zucchini and apple leftovers from the back yard!

6. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Once again, thank you for giving information that may be useful someday. Every time you show pics from this book, I also think I need to get a copy.
    We started with the playsand but it was too fine and just used it all in the kids sand box. After that, we had the 23/24 construction sand delivered and not only was it less expensive, I only had to move it the one time. Its awesome. Now I just need to get the 1/4" hardware cloth scrap piece hooked to the pitch fork to clean the coop with like in the picture from the chicken chick. I've been using a kitty litter scoop, which works, but takes more than the 5 minutes I'd like to spend.
    I hope you have a great visit with your sister!
    Those are great ideas! I really like the sorting by eggs needed.

Well its been a busy weekend. I was supposed to take three roosters to Old Salt on Friday night but my kids told me we were going to a movie instead. Both ideas got hijacked because we needed a bridal shower gift for Saturday afternoon. So, I sent John a message that I would come on Saturday morning. I got up, got ready, got the roosters in the truck (with the help of my dh) and my girls weren't finished getting ready no matter how I mothered them until an hour after we were due to leave, so out of the truck the roosters went and off to the bridal shower we went. My husband kept them in the chicken tractor all day because I had already let the beautiful Cochins and Wyandotte that I got last time at Old Salt's house out into the chicken yard.

First, I can not say enough about those Cochins. They are the sweetest and softest birds ever. Everyone knows the Wyandottes are lovely but the cochins are just beauties that I did not fully appreciate until I brought them home. Having said that, these are pretty gentle and timid. I thought it might be a good idea to let the roosters out because it was almost their bed time and boy what a mistake. My roosters took one look at them and it was just horrible. I could not believe how fast three roosters could gang up on one bird since they don't do that to the two girls I already had. I could not get the girls out fast enough. It made me sick to my stomach that they were that aggressive in just the couple minutes it took me to collect the new girls. I was so mad last night I could almost have done them in myself (if the kids weren't there). I told my friend about it and she said they were processing all of their chickens today and that I could bring them over to their house. I'm going to miss one of them for the chick that he was, but not for the adult he became. Is it wrong to leave his pic on my avatar as a memorial? So now we are down to two roosters, six hens, and three undetermined chicks (I think two pullets and a cockerel but I'm obviously bad at this).

So, long story short, my kids don't know the roosters are dead (cause I'm the chicken) and Old Salt, I will not be stopping by with chickens, but I'd still love to show my kids your birds when we make it to the feed store. What a nice place you have. And finally, I really wasn't flakey before I had kids and while they aren't the only factors here, they are my major reasons for being untimely. Is that even a word? Oh, and my MIL thinks I need to toughen up and think of the birds as food instead of pets [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    Quote:we always feed the fish guts to the chickens. they really devour them!!

8. animallover2202

animallover2202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    Well I got rid of all my chickens:'(

9. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    I'm really sorry AL. I hope you can get more soon. [​IMG]

10. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm really sorry to hear it. I remember you saying that you had to but I never understood why. You got rid of 30 chickens today? I'm counting the chickens in your signature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by