INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Here's the 7 week old pics of the orpington mix chicks I got from Brad along with their baby pics to see how they're turning out. I hope I get the mixes right this time!

lavender orpington/speckled Sussex mix
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

lavender orpington
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

buff orpington/lemon cuckoo orpington mix
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

lemon cuckoo orpington/lavender orpington mix
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The buff chick is sure looking nice & plump, but the lavender chick is so much smaller that the rest. Is it too early to spot a roo? The brown chick has the most developed comb so far -- if it's a roo, hopefully I got lucky & he's the only one. His neck also seems awfully long.... I couldn't get a pic of it, but the black one has some white on the tips of its outer wing feathers and some faint barring (I think) when the wings are spread out. I also noticed looking at these pictures how similar the black & lavender heads look when looking straight at them -- almost creepy, but in a good way !?! [​IMG]

2. Crafty chick

Crafty chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2012
    Pierceton, Indiana
    yeah the goldish looking one in the back is probably a roo... the others dont look as roo-ish

3. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks, kabhyper1...I'm sorry you're going through this, but really appreciate you sharing it with us. If this happened to one of our girls, I would FREAK OUT! It's so odd.
    Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!

4. pginsber

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Strange how creatures find us, isn't it? We were at Petco shopping for food for our herd of varying creatures, and some guy came up to us with a 5 gal bucket of koi and asked us if we would take them home. I had the strangest look on my face, and said "how did you know we had a pond?" The guy said "you mean you don't work here?" [​IMG]
    So--we took the whole bucket of them home, put them in the pond, and the rest is history.

All of our 8 chickens have names, and we know from the beginning that they're part of our family, rather than livestock.

Goes along with the Blind dog, handicapped bird, orphan mallard, stray cats, and foster Chihuahua that seem to call our place home. How does this happen?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    they all look great! I agree that they all look like pullets except the one. From my research the lavender genes have been associated with slow growth. So id say its common for her to be smaller. Id love to see the white quail as well. Mine are laying like crazy now!
    These look great as well.

6. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

We have most of a door! It took forever to get it square, and it doesn't look pretty as a result of all that work, but I don't think the hens will mind. :D

ETA: This is the human door, by the way. The chicken door will be on the opposite wall leading into the chicken yard. :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  7. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Id still love to find someone local interested in incubating some jumbo coturnix quail eggs for fertility testing. The first dozen eggs I out in my bator 8 were fertile. Im shipping 4 dozen out tomorrow to test fertility but would also like to have someone local try as well. Ill give you the eggs and you keep what hatches just let me know how many were fertile about a week into incubating and your hatch rate.

8. pginsber

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    It looks awesome! Great work!

9. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Pipd- I love it! Looks awesome!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  10. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    I have two roosters that need to go to a good home.

[​IMG]
    This is my bantam barred rock rooster (Pepper. Thought he was a she but the name stuck). He prefers not to be picked up but has never attacked me. He always finds treats for 'his' ladies.

[​IMG]
    This is my white rock rooster (Curly). Very friendly. Has never attacked me and comes up to me (only if there's food).

Funny picture of pepper.
    [​IMG]

If anyone is interested please PM me. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by