INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    This thread moves sooooooo fast! I know there are a few breeders on here besides myself, well I guess I don't truly qualify until next year.
    Any who....
    Who is it that is always posting about the Lavender Araucanas?
    And wasn't there some one here breeding Marans?

I am near Louisville KY but can easily travel out near Indy as i have family up that way that will need visiting. [​IMG]

I am asking because I'd like to add a few hens to my egg coop next year and I'd like to stow information away for next spring and getting chicks. My Orps should lay a nice light brown egg and I'd like some contrast to that. Also, is there a good egg laying heritage breed that lays a white egg? I was thinking of picking up some polish for that task, just worried about them getting picked on. I need docile and decent egg production. So no game birds please. I know some of you all love the little bugs, but I need critters that won't pick on my orps.

Thanks guys!

2. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    I'm sure Chloe would love to try incubating some, but we don't have an incubator yet! hmmm....maybe that's a Christmas present idea... and Mom says forget what you just read if you're reading this Chloe! [​IMG]

3. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Yeah, I need to get out to the barn again with the camera and shoot the quail -- pics, that is! I think we have about 80 quail eggs (over 7 dozen) in the fridge right now. They add up fast when you get about a dozen a day (yesterday was 13). If anybody is interested in trying fresh quail eggs, let us know, PLEASE!! [​IMG] I'm still pondering how tedious it would be to make up a plate of deviled eggs using them. We have our 4-H Rabbit Club awards banquet on Thursday evening & I thought about making deviled quail eggs. Do you think anyone would freak out about the tiny eggs? Or would anyone even try them? [​IMG]

Oh -- and what's up with the longish neck on the brown roo chick? I noticed on the pics you sent me earlier, Brad, of the same cross that their necks looked really long, too -- kinda like the naked necks with feathers!

4. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

love how the chiuaua is smiling for the picture
    :)

5. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Well something new laid an egg today. It was in the crate the two ducks sleep in (a Pekin which based on its behavior I'm pretty sure it's a boy) and a female khaki Campbell. They are 17 1/2 wks old though isn't that pretty early? It's a medium sized off white egg. Has speckles on one end. Almost looks moldy but it wasn't there yesterday so it's not old. My chickens are the same age and are all brown egg layers... Must be the duck! I picked the biggest ones at rural king maybe they are older than I thought!

Peacefulwalls I love your ducks they are beautiful!

6. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Just picked some peaches from my tree. I hadn't checked on all of the fruit trees in awhile and there's a lot of peaches. The pears and apples aren't quite ready yet, but that doesn't stop my dog from eating them.

Update on Lola:
    She's getting much better. She walks more and more each day.

Update on chick with injured foot:
    I tried wrapping the foot yesterday, but it's hard to do on a tiny foot. Any ideas?

7. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

We have a wall! :D One of three done (well, mostly), and the second one in the works! Looks like we'll have to buy more siding before we can continue on the last wall, though.

Oh, and here is the outside. It will be painted barn red to match the original coop. :D

[​IMG]

ETA: Two walls done (well, mostly)! We've got to get another sheet of siding tomorrow to finish the walls so that we can begin painting! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  8. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Tractor Supply has the
    Little Giant[​IMG] Still-Air Incubator

for $50. Since it is the end of the season, you might be able to get 10 or 20 off.

Brad, is that incubator any good?

It doesn't have an automatic turner or fan, but neither does the momma quail. She just kinda churns them around every so often.

John

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  9. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    [​IMG]
    This is my favorite, she is so cute !!!

10. HouseKat

HouseKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    It's supposed to get down to 54 degrees tonight and our chickens are now 8 weeks old and seem to be fully feathered - will they be okay in their open air enclosure? We do have three tote boxes in there for them to snuggle up together in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by