INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

pretty chickens cabhyper1

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Here is a pic of my cat, Ghost, That I said i was going to post a while back but forgot lol-She is a grouchy cat! She is around a year old, but I think she still looks really young.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some Pics of my silver duckwing OEGBs

They pullets enjoy laying upside down, the cockerel not so much lol
    [​IMG]

One of the pullets
    [​IMG]

The only pics I have of the cockerel, as you can probably tell he is in a cage in the pic
    [​IMG]

3. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    I would think they would be ok. Ours were in the coop overnight, they were 5 weeks old at the time, but not outdoors open air like yours. 8 weeks? Still think they'd be ok.

4. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I think so too

5. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    pginsber - I love it! The fish story is classic lol

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  6. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you. Just to clarify, they do coop up at night, they just roost in the run for an hour or so before going in. I don't leave them out all night.

7. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    What does everyone use in the nest boxes for bedding? I always used pine shavings, but they keep scratching it to the side and the eggs are breaking when they fall out of the hen. I scooped up some dried grass clippings tonight and going to try that. So far they all seem terrified of the change lol.

8. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    We use straw & they also push it to the sides. We're getting too many eggs with just a tiny crack where the egg hits as it lands. I've wondered if putting a piece of vinyl flooring down on the bottom of the nest box would help -- just a bit softer than the wood floor?? And it would be a lot easier to clean than the wood when an egg breaks...

9. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

We use grass hay and pine shavings. Our alpacas are messy eaters so their "floor" hay is our coop bedding. We try to use it all. So we don't have waste. I just try to make sure the box filling is thick and fluffy so it is harder for them to find the floor when nesting. I have curtains over our boxes too, so that the layed eggs don't get pecked or slept on. The hens seem to like the extra privacy too.

10. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Just a few more pics from me! Brad wanted to see how the white baby quail turned out. These are all from the chicks he hatched for Chloe.

[​IMG]

It's kind of hard to see, but she has a black patch on the back of her head. There's also a black patch on the left side of her shoulder area. Unfortunately, she was being stubborn & not turning that direction for me to take a pic!
    [​IMG]

These next pics are some of the other girls
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

they're quite roly-poly little birds!
    [​IMG]
    I hadn't thought about it until just now looking at these pics, but the white one definitely had a different body type/shape than the others -- almost as if it were a different variety of quail. Her eggs look pretty much the same as the others, though.

Of course Max and Olive, our English Shepherds, were feeling left out with all the picture taking lately, so here they are. They're just a little over a year old & are siblings.

Max
    [​IMG]

Olive
    [​IMG]

Yes, Olive is sitting in an empty swimming pool, although I'm not quite sure why...They do love to go take a dip in our pond, though!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by