INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Just a reminder, but the last Wolf's Giant Swap of the year is this Saturday! There is a little bit of everything there and if you need any wire cages, you can't find them cheaper than there.

UGH I wish we could go! Maybe next year
sad.png
DH started a new job this week, and will probably have to work the weekend.

What does everyone use in the nest boxes for bedding? I always used pine shavings, but they keep scratching it to the side and the eggs are breaking when they fall out of the hen. I scooped up some dried grass clippings tonight and going to try that. So far they all seem terrified of the change lol.
We use a thick straw layer. Our nest boxes have a 4'' wall on the entry side to help keep it all in and thick enough. It's removable for clean out time.

Funny how change freaks out the chickens, eh? One of our 2 leghorns won't lay in the nest box, she waits until she's let out of the run then makes a bee line to our supply shed, where she lays in an open pine shaving bundle we got from TSC. Wonder what she'll do when it disappears lol.

i use sawdust im nesting boxes and they kick ot all out onto the floor. i have one of the new layers laying in the empty boxes and then all ttje other newbies lay on the floor but of course not were the sawdust is! i am going to gey some easter ehhs to put in them to see if theu will lay tjeir

So I picked up my blue scale quail eggs today and man such a disappointment! I will say the box wasn't in the best shape, mainly just one corner smash. 9 of the 13 shipped eggs were just crushed. The remaining 4 covered in egg goo. The seller did, IMO, a bad job shipping. 7x7x7 box with a Ayer of shredded paper, then a quail egg flat with the eggs just sitting on it (nothing securing them down), pillow stuffing material on top, then crumpled newspaper. Those eggs were just flying around in the box. Waiting to see what the seller says. If I knew that was "the best packing to their ability" (their wording on auction), I'm not sure what I would call individually bubble wrapping 56 quail eggs to ship to jchny2000.

Reply from seller.....darn USPS. Takes no responsibility for damages.

So I picked up my blue scale quail eggs today and man such a disappointment! I will say the box wasn't in the best shape, mainly just one corner smash. 9 of the 13 shipped eggs were just crushed. The remaining 4 covered in egg goo. The seller did, IMO, a bad job shipping. 7x7x7 box with a Ayer of shredded paper, then a quail egg flat with the eggs just sitting on it (nothing securing them down), pillow stuffing material on top, then crumpled newspaper. Those eggs were just flying around in the box. Waiting to see what the seller says. If I knew that was "the best packing to their ability" (their wording on auction), I'm not sure what I would call individually bubble wrapping 56 quail eggs to ship to jchny2000.

Reply from seller.....darn USPS. Takes no responsibility for damages.
I think they need to replace your eggs. They could have at least placed them in a paper egg carton to keep them from bouncing around. Hope they make good on this for you.

Back
Top Bottom